PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Teaching Tips.

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Brian McGlashan
Answers: 0

Teaching Tips.

Post by Brian McGlashan »

What's you guy's teaching tips for getting a student to stop Trunking and Hooking.

Thanks in advance.

Brian.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Teaching Tips.

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Brian,

What the hell is trunking?

By hooking you mean a curved presentation? Or just the stroke itself?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Teaching Tips.

Post by Graeme H »

I tell 'em "give up golf and take up fishing."

:D

(Like Paul, I'm waiting to find out what you mean by those terms.)

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Brian McGlashan

Teaching Tips.

Maybe should have said in Two Handed spey Casting :( Though it happens in single as well.

Trunking; pushing out with bottom hand as the d-loop forms flattening the rod tip causing too much anchor behind the caster.
Hooking; Taking the rod tip behind the casters head by pushing the left hand out beyond the right elbow, causing a tracking fault.

Brian
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Teaching Tips.

Post by Paul Arden »

Ah OK. I never teach it :)
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Teaching Tips.

Post by Graeme H »

Brian,

I've only just started teaching it as a way to better understand it myself. (Teaching is the best way to learn.)

I treat 2 handed casting as single handed casting with a "power assist" coming from the lower hand. That hand does nothing except provide some support when the strength of the upper hand would be found wanting. The physics of 2 handed casting is exactly the same as SH casting. In TH casting, the tip still must follow the same paths as it would for the SH cast.

For me, considering the change in rod length as the only difference has greatly simplified both learning and teaching it.

In this case, your student's hooking problem, which is a tracking error, can be solved in the same way as you'd solve it for a SH caster: get them aiming their D loop at a point 180 degrees away from their target by visually searching for that target. Same as watching the back cast for a SH caster.

Trunking is opening the casting arc too much in the same way opening the wrist does with a single hand cast, bringing the tip down way too low. Hold the two hander rod as if it's a single hand rod and then push that lower hand out: what happens to your wrist on the upper hand?

It's VERY easy to teach a competent single hand caster to cast 2 handers if they are told to concentrate on how their casting hand wrist is performing during the cast. If all they do with the lower hand is maintain wrist form for the upper hand, they get it in no time.

Poor SH casters are another story ... I need to teach them to cast their SH rods properly before they understand what's happening with a TH rod. :(

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Brian McGlashan

Teaching Tips.

Thanks Graeme, I'm not new to teaching but I seem to have hit a wall with this student.He is a good caster but it seems I am not pushing the right button and hoped for inspiration on here.
I will work on it.

Regards
Brian.
crunch

Teaching Tips.

Post by crunch »

Seems like there are similarities in Drifting and Trunking? To me it seems like too long anchor is because of failed back cast more than what is possible to do manipulating rod wrong after the D- loop has began to form. Back cast needs to be directed more up! Using rising rod path and/or using an "upward flick" in the end.

Esa
crunch

Teaching Tips.

Post by crunch »

This Slow Motion video of Sakkes Single Spey cast is the best I have seen and very inspirational. You should find it in normal speed on small windows right as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eHJo1yvaNU

Return to “Teaching”