PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Changing student's style

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Changing student's style

Post by Paul Arden » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:32 am

Ah, right!

Incidentally I think one of the causes of the difficulties anglers experience with line management is trying to work with too much line. Especially in a stream situation where every metre presents difficulties both outside the tip and at the angler's feet. The solution is to teach them to fish close. It's often the same when loch-styling as well.

Keeping the rod tip touching the water is key to fishing subsurface on lakes and some situations on rivers. But we also lift the rod tip to manage slack when fishing upstream and if I'm fishing dries on lakes my rod is horizontal. Often I see beginners with slack line at the rod tip that the river has washed towards them. They have to stay in touch - or almost in touch - with the flies, and be aware of their stripped line. Short-lining is the key.

Teaching beginners to cast on stillwaters, or the salt, is very different from teaching them to cast on rivers. On open waters it's mostly about getting reasonable presentations with increased distance. On rivers it's mostly about getting them fishing and managing a short line effectively. So for me that is two different lessons. No ten yard PUALDs when teaching river casting for example.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Morsie

Changing student's style

Post by Morsie » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:29 am

Paul I tell them "Only strip off as much line as you need. The rest is only going to cause trouble".

Morsie

Return to “Teaching”