PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

FFI CI vs. MCI casting demonstrations

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

Paul Arden wrote:I'd love to know what they are, but happy if you want to keep that quiet until after the test.
I admit I am pretty pumped up about the test, particularly about the teaching aspects, even though at the minimum it's still months away. But remember that I am in early stages of this career, teaching fly casting that is. So no big trade secrets.

However, since I earn the money for my fly rods by teaching, it would be weird if I wouldn't have any ideas going around in my head. We'll see, maybe some of them will see the light of day and pass preliminary tests with voluntary guinea pigs.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Getting out and practising on people is a very good idea, Jarmo. The vast majority of candidates have done absolutely zero teaching, which is as expected of course. Even if you've only taught a few people you will be ahead of the game. It always shines through.

Cheers and good luck!
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd Ziesche
Answers: 0

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Jarmo,
it's very helpfull to participate in a proper fly casting lesson in order to improve one's fly casting skills - we all know that. Usually proper fly casting lessons come with those instructors a) having significant experience in teaching, b) willing to give away every single detail they know about fly casting and c) being uptodate with their knowledge.
Learning how to teach fly casting is the same in my book. You may want to look out for an experienced fly casting instructor willing to let you look into his tool box of teaching skills.
Fair to say not every experienced instructor will be happy to share his tool box though.
In my own point of view the worst thing that can happen is to have fly casting instructors offering high priced fly casting lessons while coming with inappropriate teaching skills. That easily ends up in students not (if ever) joining a fly casting lesson again. So I indeed prefer to share my teaching skills with those aiming to teach theirthelves. I know Paul shares his teaching skills as well as do some others.
Regards
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I share everything. I ran into a bloke who was marking my locations with GPS with a view to bringing people back with bait and lure casting so I took him to all the places without fish. But apart from that I’ve been pretty clean :cool:

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Paul Arden wrote:so I took him to all the places without fish.
Put some heavy steel lines just below the surface, mate! :cool:
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
jarmo

Post by jarmo »

Paul Arden wrote:Getting out and practising on people is a very good idea, Jarmo. The vast majority of candidates have done absolutely zero teaching, which is as expected of course. Even if you've only taught a few people you will be ahead of the game. It always shines through.
I am not a fishing bum like you guys, but as a teacher I do have some benefits as far as free time in summer is concerned. My plan is to teach quite a few people (for free) this spring and summer. And I have taught some already, that is how I found out how much I enjoy it. (And noticed that getting a certificate would be a good idea.)
Bernd Ziesche wrote: Usually proper fly casting lessons come with those instructors a) having significant experience in teaching, b) willing to give away every single detail they know about fly casting and c) being uptodate with their knowledge.
Learning how to teach fly casting is the same in my book. You may want to look out for an experienced fly casting instructor willing to let you look into his tool box of teaching skills.
Fair to say not every experienced instructor will be happy to share his tool box though.
In my own point of view the worst thing that can happen is to have fly casting instructors offering high priced fly casting lessons while coming with inappropriate teaching skills. That easily ends up in students not (if ever) joining a fly casting lesson again. So I indeed prefer to share my teaching skills with those aiming to teach theirthelves. I know Paul shares his teaching skills as well as do some others.
Yes, it would be great experience indeed. Chances to co-operate with such an experienced teacher may be few, unfortunately. IIRC Paul was planning at some point to drive through Finland on his way to Sweden from Russia. Do I remember correctly? If so, maybe I could intercept him. Paul?

Nonetheless, I am not too concerned about my development as a fly casting teacher at this point. I had a week off last week, and spent a good deal of it on the CI test by gathering information (lots), planning, analyzing videos and making some contacts. We are enjoying a fresh breeze from Russia at the moment, so no casting, unfortunately. Anyway, I learned a lot, and also noticed that my way of thinking as a teacher transfers at least to some degree to teaching casting. When I examined how some experienced instructors teach, I found their methods somehow familiar and intuitive. I feel confident that when I just study and practice hard, it will come to me. Up to some point. Not claiming that I would be a natural, or it would be easy to become an expert.

From my experience people who have the most ideas are always willing to share them. If someone wants to keep secrets, I don't mind. Not even in general, but especially in teaching fly casting: this can be somebody's livelihood, while it is just my hobby.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Jarmo, with the stiff breeze from Russia you have at the moment, having an indoor practice rod helps ;)
Either get one of the commercially available ones (highly recommend Echo MPR, but I am biased) or make one yourself, a rodtip and a couple of meters of fluffy yarn/superchenille etc. works ok too...

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
jarmo

Post by jarmo »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:Jarmo, with the stiff breeze from Russia you have at the moment, having an indoor practice rod helps ;)
Either get one of the commercially available ones (highly recommend Echo MPR, but I am biased)...
Thanks for the tip, not too expensive either. Next winter I will get one for sure. I am usually out casting some time in March, so probably before the MPR would get here. I will write it down for Santa immediately so he won't forget it next Christmas.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Jarmo, I drove through Finland two years ago! There wasn’t much planning involved. We decided we would drive on Saturday. Bought the first car we saw on Monday. Had our Russian VISAs by Wednesday. Broke down in France on Thursday and were at the Russian border on Saturday. We couldn’t get in however because I didn’t have the car papers in my name and that’s where I met Mika. I might pop up later this year but I haven’t planned anything yet!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
jarmo

Post by jarmo »

Paul: drop a line if you decide to head this way.

Return to “Teaching”