PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Teaching with the new Lumi Line

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi guys,

I'm very impressed with this new Lumi line and it does everything better than before. It lasts much longer than before and glows brighter.

I was teaching with it last weekend in the jungle before the moon came up. I taught overhead, roll casts, the Snakehead shot and even double hauling. Ok so the chap was a fast learner - he had never fly cast before - but with results like that I'm of the opinion that in the right circumstances it is a fantastic teaching tool.

When all you see is the line it gets some really excellent results. It's spectacular for mends and I've given Spey demos with it that have been very effective. Also it's fun to cast which is very encouraging.

Who else is teaching or practising with this line? I must get a better charging system in place. Currently I use an Australian spot lamp. I've had other charging devices from light boxes to UV bulbs attached to the reel. When I get a chance I'll develop on one of these ideas. About 15 years ago I patented the idea but never really developed the right product!

Cheers Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Still waiting for the new improved line ;)

Besides the fun shootout in Romania, having used it for a couple of night time competitions, I haven't taught with it, but given the chance, I believe it would be a good tool.
Tudors lightbox was good, I have made something similar, but still need a power outlet. Have used a UV lamp too.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Email me your address Lasse! Tudor's worked very well. When I was with Haysie we stuck UV LEDs into some foam and attached to the reel. This has certainly been the easiest. I will endeavour to have something made up soon.

It's fantastic here in the jungle. So long as it's not my normal campfire, nor any moon, it is pitch black. Perhaps luminous gloves would be a good idea. Either that or a red headlamp to show hand movements.

I'm really going to start working with this and anyone who visits me can expect lessons in the dark!

Cheers Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Email on its way :blush:

Have you gotten a clear reel for it? I know loop lts had a clear plastic reel, might be worth digging around for one of them they pop up now and again on the used gear markets....

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes Thomas Berggren sent me one a few years back. It wasn't a loop original however but a copy and it fell apart after a few months! So no :p

It didn't work however because the light didn't reach the inner coils of line. I considered putting UV lights inside the drum at one point.

Cheers Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

The only thing not falling apart after a few months in your hands would be able to survive ragnarok :D :D :p
Do you still have the rimfly :p

Yeah, inner coils are a trouble, just had an idea I need to try :cool:

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes and it's going strong! Fished it for three months in Tassie and it's been on my 4WT since you sent it. Caught a bunch of Gourami too. Hard to kill the Rimfly!

I think I even oiled it last year or maybe I dreamed that.

Cheers Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”