PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

How to start a lesson

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

OLDGOLD
Answers: 0

How to start a lesson

Post by OLDGOLD »

I guess asking people what they want from a lesson can be counterproductive, because often what they really NEED is not what they asked for.
Personally I find I go back at least two steps before being able to move forward.
The brain constantly forgets things such as arc length and too much power, and tbh I think most fly fisherman are much the same.
Minimum power drills make for a good start when I practice alone. Likewise horizontal casting to look at arc length.

I'll leave the vegetables to Mark!
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

How to start a lesson

Post by Paul Arden »

Sure but they are the ones paying so I always ask. Sometimes they actually have a specific cast they want to learn. Also it’s helps break the ice and I can ask them their names so that I can immediately forget them.

And besides it’s fascinating doing this around the world where people behave so differently. I’ve never understood how two common people’s separated by an invisible border can behave so differently. Eg Canada/USA, Hungary/Croatia etc etc

That mostly all relates to group lessons. I always try to ask what they want long before the lesson. Who knows, I might have to practise casts that I don’t often use. (I’ve learned that a few times! :p)

Something I always ask is if they can swim. Fortunately I haven’t had to save anyone yet but there may come a day. And you might be surprised how many people can’t - especially here in Asia.

I actually prefer teaching fishing nowadays, not so much to beginnners which is just about impossible here - although I try - but to the experienced. That’s s lot of fun and I stand to learn a great deal too. And teaching fishing is different again of course, with beginners I often start off by tying a fly or even bug hunting. With experienced anglers here in the jungle, I get the electronic weighing scales out and we do some imaginary fish fighting. Doing the same old thing gets boring quite quickly and I like to mix it up - even if it’s just for my benefit :p I actually started to do my advanced courses backwards at one point just to keep it fresh.

I have to say I love guiding. I don’t really think of what I do as guiding, because it’s teaching really, but taking someone fly fishing I’ve found so much passion for. I’m over the moon when they catch a fish (they are hard as hell here) and best of al it appears that all my companions come back - at least the ones I invite back :p So I really get to advance fly casting skills in a way too that I’ve rarely done before. I’m teaching Chuan Spey Casting now for example.

Something that bothers me is don’t know how you can guide if you can’t teach flycasting. I often hear guides complaining about the casting standard of their clients. Well who is at fault here I ask myself? :laugh:

Hanging out with Malays today so I didn’t speak much English. Hence the long post :D

Cheers Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”