PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Things that can go wrong (in a lesson)...

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

There are a lot of instructors on the Board, so I thought I’d start a topic on what can go wrong and maybe how to avoid it!

:p

I have a lot of stories, but a few things I have learned is that it’s a good idea to have lunch organised. Even if it means paying someone to do it.

Here’s another one: about 20 years ago I was teaching children with kidstart rods from Redington. I taught 1000 children that year. I have not taught so many children in all the other years combined! One weekend we had our usual 25-40 kids and I wanted to teach one 12 yr old the stop, I borrowed his rod - it was his own, a seven piece shimano, brand new, he was very proud of it - and on the first cast the tip flew off, ran down the line and hung tantalisingly at the end of the leader. “Ha!” thought I, “I shall carefully bring it back with the fluff at that end.” However there was no fluff at the end, the leader slid through the tip ring and off it disappeared into the murky bottomless pond never to be seen again.

Lessons to be learned here: a) check rod fittings for tightness b) check the damned leader for fluff.

What stories can you share?

Cheers, Paul

PS I made some calls and the company sent the kid a new rod tip. :)
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Stoatstail50
Answers: 0

Post by Stoatstail50 »

I got punched in a lesson last year...that wasn't supposed to happen.

last week a guy told me he couldn't imagine holding a pint glass or a mug in his hand because he was teetotal and only drank from a tea cup...he nearly got punched in a lesson too.

I've had several demo cucumbers break under the strain of a sharp stop, this has health and safety ramifications.

I have dismembered someone's cast and put it back together again only to find I've made matters infinitely worse.

I have over explained.

I have under explained.

I have begun to demonstrate presentation casts without looking behind and put my first BC in a tree.

I have fallen in while demoing the sweep of a Double Spey.

Where I usually teach, dogs are let off the leash and come and pee on my tackle bag. If they don't do that they run of with my practice cones. Sometimes they do both.

I have been kissed by a fly fishing hells angel...which is not really something going wrong but was extremely frightening...and I have danced with another mans wife in a monastery garden...which isn't really something going wrong either but I don't think he realised it was part of the lesson plan when he booked the session for her and he got a wee bit scowly.

Apart from that and a few other minor instructional infractions all my lessons have been at the very pinnacle of excellence.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

:D :D
I have dismembered someone's cast and put it back together again only to find I've made matters infinitely worse.
I was talking about this last night actually. It’s annoying when that happens. I sometimes think they do it on purpose :laugh:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
OLDGOLD
Answers: 0

Post by OLDGOLD »

It's happening to my golf swing....

Return to “Teaching”