PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Becoming a qualified Game Angling Instructor

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:05 pm

Paul Arden wrote:The Instructor should absolutely be able to hold his own in his region with the very best of them. Otherwise the entire Association's credibility is in question. With a flycasting instructors' association, then fine, whatever, but with a flyfishing instructors' association this is unacceptable IMO.
Cheers, Paul
Personally I chose all my instructors not by any of his/her certs he/she were holding, but by what former students of them told me about the quality of the lessons. And then I listened to the "sound of reputation" of each of those instructors.
Finally the price and what I should get for it also took part in my decision.
Yet I never expected anyone to be the very best in all fields. Instead I prefered to joy different instructors and learn different specialities. Most could offer some to me.
I agree, that at least a Master Game Angling instructor (talking about the AAPGAI here) should be a great fisherman, too. He indeed should not easily be outfished in his home waters. From what I have seen yet, am pretty sure it won't happen!
Greets
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:20 pm

I think guides are also instructors, Pete, and they should absolutely be local expert anglers. I don't see a difference between teaching someone to cast, teaching them to fish, or taking them fishing - it's all the same coin.

I've been very lucky, I've spent the best part of 15 years living off instructing. Ok I've been broke most of that time :p, and I don't have massive overheads, but I haven't exactly been flogging my guts out either, and it's enabled me to go fishing as much as I want. If I wanted to make a full-time job out of it, I would absolutely have to guide too like virtually everyone else I know. And then it's doable, it's not going to make anyone rich, but it's a good job to do something you love!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:41 pm

Hi Peter

Sorry to say, but that old saying is sort of bollocks in most cases :)

Most professors teach along side their research.

In the majority of sports the coach used to be a player/competitior themselves, the higher up in skills, the higher up the coach used to be when they where active.

If you want to learn a craft, you would want the teacher to be able to perform said craft, well at least I would want that. All the best teachers I've had could, all the crap ones...... well that goes without saying :glare:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

http://www.karlssonflyfishing.com

***Bring Mark back!!!!!! ***

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:58 pm

I absolutely agree with you Lasse. A good teacher must be able to perform - or at least have once been able to perform- the skills he is teaching. Of course just being able to do something well doesn't mean that the performer can teach, but if you can't do it then you don't understand it; and you have to understand it in order to teach it.

I thoroughly enjoyed Man and Superman and as a schoolboy I thought that was an excellent take on the education system I was going through :cool: but we don't want that to apply to us!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

petevicar

Post by petevicar » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:52 pm

Lasse Karlsson wrote: In the majority of sports the coach used to be a player/competitior themselves, the higher up in skills, the higher up the coach used to be when they where active.
Ok we don't disagree. These top coaches used to be top players. They are no longer top players for whatever reason.
IANACI

Post by guest » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:40 pm

So going back to how the thread started. Chris has expressed a strong desire to teach, he has done some research and seen the test requirements, which to be fair to him is almost entirely about the standard of casting that is required. A quick bit of on line research shows that is true for many organizations. How does he get from being a fisherman to an instructor?

regards

Vince
Bright but shite

IANACI - There’s no such thing as absolutes

Free the Mark One ☝️

Snake Pliskin

Post by Snake Pliskin » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:57 pm

Me I just like teaching stuff that I enjoy. If I was an expert coin flipper, I'd be trying to teach everyone to flip coins...
The casting side is about being able to make the casts first of all, and then about being able to teach them easily. Remember that it is about teaching, or at least should be. Some guys want to be instructors before they can cast well. If that's the case, I'd just plug away until I was a looking better than most of the guys around me. It's at this point people often start asking casting tips...
The fishing side of things, like Paul said, takes time. Everyone learns at a different rate, and not taking anything away from Chris at all, he might be nailing it. But if I think back to me at 2.5 years of fly fishing experience, I was totally obsessed with it at that point, but still very much a beginner. So that can take time too.
The only way to know I suppose is to rock up and take it!

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:26 pm

The casting side is easy: approach the association, ask for them to recommend a mentor, invest in some lessons, spend at least six months preparing, trying to make time to cast at least one hour per day - in the case of AAPGAI a significant amount of preparation time will have to occur on moving water, read everything you can on the subject, especially Sexyloops :) making key point notes for every cast and practise teaching every cast on the syllabus, with the faults. And then finally go and find a few people to practise on.

Regards fishing experience, in the case of Trout, Sea Trout and Saltwater, every time you go fishing imagine you are teaching. Why are we doing this method? How does it work? What are the key points? What are the alternatives? What method would we try next if this one isn't working? You should understand how rivers work and be confident in them. If you're teaching Stillwater you should have the full range of tactics at your disposal. It's unlikely that you'll have much experience with tropical saltwater, but you should understand enough to be able to prepare someone for a trip - the casts, flies, leaders, knots etc.

Finally make friends with some really good anglers, pump them for information on what makes them good and honestly compare yourself to them. If you're on a Stillwater you should have a good idea of where you are at because you should be catching fish when no one else is and you should be consistently catching more than everyone else when it's easy. That would be my gauge anyway.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

chris09

Post by chris09 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:53 pm

Thanks again to Paul for clearly outlining the requirements to become an instructor.

I also appreciate that he has taken the time to start this thread and specifically seek the views of senior members in AAPGAI. Opening up the debate to seek other members and non-members views is also helpful too.

As I've already stated I think with practice I could have a real good go at meeting 2 of the 3 main entry requirements. Being prepared to work hard is not an issue for me as I don't view it as work and already practice regularly and at every opportunity. Attending the local casting club gives me the opportunity to pass on knowledge learned and work on my communication skills. I acknowledge that I don't have extensive fishing experience in either stillwater or rivers yet and would fall short of the extremely high standard required. I'm off to the Dove tomorrow so can chalk up another day - only 12 1/2 years to go. :whistle:

It looks like AAPGAI is not for me in the short to medium term but who knows in the future. My key goals remain to become the best caster I can be and to help others benefit from the sport in the same way I have. How I ultimately achieve this remains to be seen. I'm not one to rest on my laurels so I will look at other options and routes to keep progressing forward.

I will leave you with my final word on the subject - I would like to see AAPGAI encouraging more young people into the profession and helping them to climb the casting / instructor ladder over time rather than simply looking for people who already tick most or all of the casting / experience boxes.

I still have lots of casting questions for you guys on here and I will be posting one after I finishing typing this!

Cheers

Chris

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:00 pm

Hi Chris,

The current minimum age for AAPGAI is 21. When I first joined it was 25, and I was 26. Back then I was probably the youngest instructor in the country!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”