PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Demo's

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Demo's

Post by Paul Arden »

And if you are feeling stressed remember that the award for the World’s Worst demo goes to me in Denmark. I had to start that demo three times, and each time was worse than the previous. If there had been a trap door someone - in fact everyone, me included - would have pushed the button. We can laugh about it now :p

Cheers, Paul

PS don’t drink with fly tiers. They don’t have to speak the next day.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Morsie
Answers: 0

Demo's

Post by Morsie »

Make your explanation and your demonstration match, (don't exaggerate the demonstration toooo badly to make a negative point) and don't rubbish what others are doing. I see this a lot in 2 hander demos and especially Scandi guys bagging Skagit. It all has its place.
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
Simon Svahn

Demo's

Post by Simon Svahn »

Thanks guy's! I think i finished the demo in my head during yesterday's car drive. It's always like that, the best ideas when you are moving forward!

Merry christmas to you all!
Simon Svahn

Demo's

Post by Simon Svahn »

Morsie yes one have to think about where and for what purpose any given tecnique is developed.

Paul things can get crazy in Jönköping but i'll turn off my tinder!

Lasse i feel 15 minutes is quite a long time to keep People interested. You did yours in 7 min last fair right?
Lasse Karlsson

Demo's

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Simon

I can't remember, I know it was shorter than 15 minutes, something with the previous presenter going over their timeslot :D
Try and go outside and do your demo, they always take longer IRL than in our mind :blush:

Usually we have about 30 minutes at other fairs :)

Btw. Paul's demo in Denmark had some good things in it! I'll tell you in Jönköping :D

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Demo's

Post by Paul Arden »

Yeah the highlight for me was the massive birds nest that I handed to one member of the audience :D

But no that was fucking awful. I’m better now! But I’ve stopped doing them for a while. I just feel that I’m running over the same old ground. Maybe the Essential Level Challenge will change that.

Every audience is different. Some laugh at your jokes. Some don’t understand a damned word you say. So long as you’re having fun that’s the main thing.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Demo's

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

The highlight was that the dude then spend 15 minutes untangling your mess and then handed it back to you! :D

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
t.z.

Demo's

Post by t.z. »

Hi,

There is general difference between teachers in my mind. One group is working on persuading the student that what they tell is the truth. The other group of tea here are those presenting the topic trying to enable the student to understand it to such an extend that the student can prove them wrong.

I find the latter concept much more interesting as it has much more potential to become better for all parties involved.

I somehow believe that you should have that in mind when presenting. Try to make things so clear and logical that the interested student can really understand it.

I furthermore do not understand why so many presenters show all these, whet they call casting faults. There are no faults in my mind. Generally speaking faults come in handy when trying something new.

Cheers and god jul,

Thomas
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Demo's

Post by Paul Arden »

I think I’m somewhere in between those two, Thomas :D

I mostly try to get people to move up a level from where they are. In one capacity or another I always seem to be able to teach something. I also learn a lot too. Sometimes I learn more :upside:

What I’m doing in Malaysia is the best. Hardest most practical down to earth casting shots. I love it.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”