PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Teaching the 170

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

bartdezwaan
Answers: 0

Teaching the 170

Post by bartdezwaan »

A good caster is casting 110ft off line in a controlled way.
I estimate he would benefit from going to a 170 style.

He does not understand. Everyone says you should match arc to rod bend. How the hell can a 170 style work. And then there is that strange bounce. That can't be right!

I have not encountered this yet. But as it stands now I would tell him that the path of the top leg is the important one. It is formed by the path of the rod tip during acceleration. The bottom leg does not matter much.

Again I am looking for explanations that make sense to the average caster.
You guys think my statement has the balance between making sense and telling the truth?

Cheers,
Bart
Graeme H
Answers: 0

Teaching the 170

Post by Graeme H »

I don't have the answers that the gurus of this style will have, but I think of it as an extension of that casting arc rule. As the amount of bend in the rod increases, we must increase the casting arc. At the extreme end of that rod-bend continuum is the maximum possible casting arc, which is the 170 cast.

Then I sometimes get the question "Well, what happened to the stop?" The answer is that in the horizontal direction, the stop is at the end of that 170° arc because the rod is no longer moving forward (or back, as the case may be). The stop is relative to the direction the line is travelling, and if the tip is no longer moving forward, the stop has occurred.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Teaching the 170

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Bart,

The line speed is higher because instead of truncating the stroke to match bend to arc we accelerate right through the point when the dips away from the trajectory of the fly leg. It’s because we carry so much line that we can do this. If we were carrying less then the loops would be open and stay open.

But you know, the reason I learned it was because I was throwing 110-115 with one 120 cast in a season. I met Ríck who was consistently over 120. I had no choice :D

And you are right. Around 110-115 is the departure point for learning the 170. That’s where one stroke finishes and the other takes off.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”