PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Instructor days

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

bartdezwaan
Answers: 0

Instructor days

Post by bartdezwaan »

I would like to organize an instructors meeting in Holland and see if we can come up with a setup in which instructors can learn from each other.
I know some organizations or people have done this before, but I don't know how.
The Board seems a nice place to collect all suggestions/information.

Please share me your thoughts or experiences about how to tackle this.
How could you observe each others teaching skill and make the data useful?

Should we have 2 teachers and one student? So the teachers can observe each other and give feedback after the lesson.

I really hope you guys want to think about this. I truly believe it could bring instructors to a next level.
Looking forward to your input.

Cheers, Bart
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Instructor days

Post by Paul Arden »

Had lots of instructor interactions at SL of course but some of the better planned instructor days I’ve been involved in have had paid well-known instructors visiting and giving continuing or further education to instructors.

2-1 teaching or even 1-1 with an audience can truly backfire and of course is usually boring as hell to watch (at least until it does) :D I’ve tried bits of it many times because in theory it’s wonderful but I’ve never had it truly successfully work. The only time I would even consider it nowadays is if the 1 is also an instructor and not really being taught but is actually demonstrating.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

Thank you for this motivating story Paul :glare:

Cheers, Bart
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

You’re welcome :cool:
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

Paying well known instructors, to show how it is done, does not sound like how I would like it to be.
I want to create a vibe in which we can learn from each other. Everyone should be open minded.
Even the most well known instructor can learn a thing or two.

Cheers, Bart
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Absolutely Bart, but there is such a thing as ego, and it can get in the way...

When it doesn't, its a cool learning experience (when it does can also be, but for a different reason...)

Hope it works out!

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

Thanks Lasse. Maybe I should know better, but I am going to give it a shot.
Hopefully most people can leave their ego’s at home.

Cheers, Bart
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Good luck with it Bart. I’m not certified, but any help I can offer from afar, only too pleased to do so.
Video and group feedback re. learning identified through such videos works extremely well for instructor development.

John
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

Thanks John.
I too have been thinking about a platform on which instructors could upload video's. Sound like a good idea and I could build this myself.
But first I would like to try something in real live and see how that works out.
If you have any idea's about how to organize such a thing. Any tips are more than welcome ;)

Cheers, Bart
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Something I would like to see in Australia, and it may have some relevance to you is a Casting Coaches Clinic that has a panel of experienced casting instructors from various backgrounds, present their teaching philosophy and strategies to an audience of interested instructors. The format would be driven by questions and feedback, the audience driving the discussion and the points of interest.
I have in mind a group comprising FFI Instructors, National Tournament Casting Coaches, Human Movement and Biomechanics teachers, Athletic Trainers etc.
We have much to learn from other sports, after all what we instruct is throwing, in our world we throw a loop, short or long distances. We can learn so much from coaches who instruct in similar fields.

John

Return to “Teaching”