PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Using Video while teaching

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Using Video while teaching

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Gary, funny, about 20 years ago Carl/Berlin suggested the same thing. Since 3M make the particles it seemed like an easy thing to do. I can’t remember why but for some reason I think it wasn’t practical.

And yes. Any light, even moonlight, renders the lumiline useless. When I was in Hungary there was one street lamp far away on the other side of the field that made it impossible to see the line. I asked my friend Peter if he would shoot it.

Here in the jungle on a moonless light it’s fantastic. Hell in the towns/cities you can’t even see the stars :(

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

Greetings Paul.
Paul Arden wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:20 pm Incidentally Jarmo. What about colours? The trend is bright orange. Do you think this is best? Is there something we could use that could be isolated on video?
I am sure colors help, some colors more than others in general surroundings.

The value of these newly found filters, though, is to relieve me of any such considerations, and shoot video in any surroundings, any lighting conditions. I will give you an example. In my last training session
  • foreground was sunlit snow, about as bright as it gets
  • sun was shining from low into the camera, resulting in a maximally bright spot
  • background was sunlit snow sieved through dark tree trunks, so a very high-contrast background
  • me and the line were in shadow.
From the raw footage I can occasionally see a glimpse of the line. No way to analyse loops or trajectories.

From the filtered (and cropped) video, I can see all line movement, and typically even the leader.

This is a training / teaching tool, but not a marketing gizmo, because the filtering is pretty radical and greatly enhances all movement in the footage, including noise. For my purposes, at the moment, it's about perfect.
Graeme H
Answers: 0

Post by Graeme H »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:59 am And yes. Any light, even moonlight, renders the lumiline useless. When I was in Hungary there was one street lamp far away on the other side of the field that made it impossible to see the line. I asked my friend Peter if he would shoot it.

Here in the jungle on a moonless light it’s fantastic. Hell in the towns/cities you can’t even see the stars :(

Cheers, Paul
Less ambient light won't make the line easier to film at night. It doesn't get brighter without the moon, but your eyes are better able to pick it up since it's the only thing lit up.

The very low light output of a lumiline won't be seen by any but the most sensitive of cameras without some other "night-vision" technology applied.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

For many years I have used Coach's Eye (on my iPad) for casting lessons, particularly for the slo mo and analysis aspects of casting. Unfortunately it has come to an end (and although it is supposed to continue until September for existing subscribers I have already lost my access). Hudl Technique appears to have suffered a similar demise. I have tried to download Hudl Replay but encountered difficulties.
Can anyone please suggest an alternative app?
Thanks
Jon
SevenWeight

Post by SevenWeight »

V1 Golf (available in the App Store)
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

OnForm is the Hudl Technique replacement Jon.

John
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Thanks Mark and John
dgoosen

Post by dgoosen »

Gents

Currently I use myDartfish Express. Used in many sporting applications. In particular skiing. Very useful and there is still tons more to learn with this software. Very reasonable too.

Return to “Teaching”