PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

What lines weights do you typically teach with?

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: What lines weights do you typically teach with?

Post by Paul Arden »

The Distance Gold I like, but I prefer the MED. There were 8 prototypes of these. Unfortunately RIO went with one of the prototypes that suited a more compact stroke. Two of the last four prototypes were fkin awesome! I took the last three (or four?) to the Swedish Team and we had a Shootout. Stefan will remember that one because he beat me :D If they had just waited another month for results (I'm not fast!) then they might have gone with a different line.

I've had some pretty interesting MED variations over the years too. There was one on a mono core that was 150 feet long that both Rick and I cast to the backing knot (I suspect Rick cast it beyond the backing knot), and one taper variation on the standard core in particular (that is probably still in my truck in Nova Scotia) that I just loved. I don't know what the difference in that one was but they weren't numbered and so Bruce and I never found out :laugh:

One thing I do know is that there is a better all around distance line waiting to be made, because both manufacturers have already produced better prototypes! The differences aren't huge but are significant.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
nicholasfmoore
Answers: 0

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Awesome! 😄
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Rio gold comp suits a compact stroke 😲 its the bloody longest head of all (apart from the barrio prototype with 90 feet head...)
And yeah, there's better distance lines waiting to be made, got one in the drawer 😉 but as an overall compromise the MED is pretty awesome, as was the tcr line, just too short in the head 😉

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

So it is. I wonder why I thought it was shorter - might be the diameter. Some of the earlier prototypes had a head so long I’m not even sure Mikael Blomberg could carry it :D

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”