PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

First Lesson

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Re: First Lesson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Carol wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:39 pm Thanks for the video, Nick! That's one of Bill's videos I hadn't seen. That teaching drill would work well on fresh snow if you can get beginning students to tolerate cold feet. And, as Bill said, it also would work well on concrete, but do you really want to destroy the student's line? Hauling out yards and yards of plastic and duct tape isn't practical. BUT if one could find a gymnasium floor .... :D

Oh, and thanks for the reminder about sandwiching comments. We humans usually need praise to keep motivated. I know I do and don't give myself much of it when practicing except the occasional "that's better." Now there's another topic for posting under the "teaching" section: What do you do to keep students motivated when they are frustrated? What do you do to keep yourself motivated when You are frustrated?
Hi Carol

Get a few polyurethane lines, they tend to hold up better on concrete, and then it's not the students line that gets destroyed.
Or do it like Soon Lee with kids, use MPR's and a any smooth floor works ;)

Regarding the hands on method, Joan wulff used to be a big fan, I don't know how much she uses it these day. At my CI test workshop I had her, and unlike Paul that fell asleep at his, I listened ;) Also was the one to volunteer as a student to help her show what she was doing. While her method of gripping the students rod over and under and locking their arm so they aren't moving wrong isn't for everybody (she was a dance teacher, and that really shows through here, so was my wife) and for most it's enough to hold above the handle. The key is to start out with the student relaxed, and you're doing the casts, and then gradually that shifts so the student takes over and feels for what is happening, and the instructor backs off. It can be a powerful tool done right, and a terrible one having the student freeze up or even run away screaming, though anyone ever close enough to Paul might suspect it was his socks doing the damage....

Regarding the motivation, I tend to explain to students how everyone struggles at some point, no one ever just went from 0 to hero caster, and those who claims are lying big time. If one struggles, stop, and turn to something that works, and go back later to where the struggle was, usually a short break helps things along, especially if one knows what was wrong, thats where the good instructors come in.
As for my own motivation? I like to see how far we can take things, if someone throws further, I get inspired to work at getting there too, if one is more accurate, same, unless its Steve or Maxine :D Just kiddin, thats inspiration in spades!
And talking out loud in the practice field helps too, (it also keeps the idiots away :whistle: )

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Yeah good post from Lasse. Every once in a while he makes sense. He must have had Gammel Dansk on his Weetabix this morning.

If I feel that a student is losing motivation or getting frustrated then I’m definitely taking something too far. I will change the drill or change the cast or have a break. There is no point in doing the same thing again and again that isn’t working.

The biggest problem that we can sometimes run into, is when we keep changing the drill and nothing works. Now everyone feels like a complete idiot. We have all been there I’m sure and that is just part of teaching.

The very worst situation is that you end up giving the student one, two or three drills that he/she takes home and spends 7-10 hours practising. That Eureka moment might not happen in your one hour lesson. The lightbulb might take half a dozen practise sessions to switch on.

I’ll give you an example. For me to naturally pick targets for distance casting, back and front took me about 6 weeks of practise. So we have to have realistic expectations of what we can achieve in a lesson. And every once in a while the student hits a wall, and that wall will take structured practised time to climb over.

So sometimes teaching is about figuring out the right homework to set.

Me personally when it happens in fishing or casting, as it most certainly does, then I change fish species/type of fishing. When it happen in casting I take a break from whatever that is and work on some other cast. Knowing when to take breaks I think is as important as training.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

"Fly you fool!" Karlsson 2020 😂😂😂😂

Also, i think that orange backing is slowing your rod hand down, Lasse. Have you tried white? 😂 ;)

Great advice by both, that's great stuff indeed.

All the best!
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Nick, I make sure to keep the orange backing on the reel, but you make a fair point, seeing as that cast only went 198,5 feet, I'm sure white backing is the answer, I'll respool asap !

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

And I am a Tolkien fan 😊

Cheers
Lasse

Carol

Post by Carol »

This thread has some great advice AND humor. :laugh: :laugh: Thank you for both. :D

Lasse, who is Lord of the Rings? You or Paul?
Carol
Because it's painful getting flies out of spruce trees.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Not me; I’m an Orc!
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Clearly Paul, Carol, clearly Paul 🤣 I'm much more of a hobbit 😊

And the orange thing happens because someone claims orange coloring in the line slows it down, no good for distance... someone might be of their rockers 🙃

nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Nick, I make sure to keep the orange backing on the reel, but you make a fair point, seeing as that cast only went 198,5 feet, I'm sure white backing is the answer, I'll respool asap !
Good man! You may find that casting a line with a lack of orange pigments will tear a hole in the space-time continuum. As such, your line will enter an alternate dimension where our rules of physics simply don't apply. 4 headed fish exist here, and they are sad creatures as they are forever swimming in a circle like a spinning top. You will be able to cast further without "huffing and puffing" and all will be well with the world. :laugh:
Paul Arden wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:29 am Not me; I’m an Orc!

:laugh:
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Carol

Post by Carol »

This is better entertainment than Saturday Night Live. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Carol
Because it's painful getting flies out of spruce trees.
Lee Cummings

Post by Lee Cummings »

Good thread 8)

How would you approach a Spey orientated session if the goal was to fish that day?

Return to “Teaching”