PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The practical side of considering loops as waves: Teaching and Self Improvement

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: The practical side of considering loops as waves: Teaching and Self Improvement

Post by Paul Arden »

“Transverse” does not mean falling to the water, it means propagating in a perpendicular direction.

You’re not married to this theory are you?

I have another theory: thinking about waves too much changes the brain structure and it becomes impossible to consider or reflect from another position. I can submit three cases of supporting evidence. What we need now is before and after brain scans as solid proof.

My wife is back for the Wet Season today. I will have her video the vertical loop plane later this week. You don’t need a boat roof for this cast; just use the tip section of the rod and stand on a chair.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H
Answers: 0

Re: The practical side of considering loops as waves: Teaching and Self Improvement

Post by Graeme H »

Hi Paul,

As I said way back in this thread somewhere, the only things I want from physics are the ability to explain what I observe and the ability to predict outcomes of new actions. This does both for me, so yes, I'm sticking with it until something better comes along. Coming up with special physics (e.g. "loop waves") is not that "better thing" for me, even if it works for others here. It doesn't work with the things I observe in the real world, so I'll let others who understand that theory use it in what ever way they like.

Every student I have tried explaining this to gets it. My colleagues (scientists but not fishermen) can't understand why this argument carries on when it seems pretty obvious to them. I've shown some of them the video of a transverse wave becoming a loop and they can't see why that isn't conclusive proof that ends any further discussion.

In the end, this thread was begun to show people how I'm using this information to improve my casting and teach others how to do the same. It was never meant to be a defence of the theory. If you and others don't get it, just don't use it. That's pretty simple isn't it?

If you and others here want me to change my mind, simply present something that makes more sense and answers the questions I have. I've posed lots of questions in this thread and very few of them have been answered. (e.g, have we come up with a mechanical wave in a fly line that propagates in the direction of the impulse yet?)

I'll stay married to this one thanks.

Cheers,
Graeme

(PS - when you video the vertical one, please note how far and where in the casting stroke the tip deviates from the SLP.)
FFi CCI

Return to “Teaching”