PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Instructors platform

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

bartdezwaan
Answers: 0

Instructors platform

Post by bartdezwaan »

For some while I have this idea in my head of an online platform for instructors.

Why? I find the teaching part of fly casting very interesting and challenging. The theory can only bring you so far. It is the understanding of how the person in front of you works and best learns that always makes it a challenge. While there already is a lot of information like places as the board, it is different when you have a student before you.
Learning to teach is something that I find difficult to get help in. I feel like a lot of times I have to reinvent the wheel.

What? My idea is to build an online platform on which instructors can register. Maybe there should be a separation between coaches and instructors.
Instructors can upload videos they made of students (or themselves demonstrating the fault). You can add a description of your analyses so far and things you tried to solve the problem. Coaches can than comment on the issue and discuss/advice about possible solutions.

I wonder what your thoughts are about this idea. Would you register and at what terms? Any input is more than welcome.
For me, such a concept would have enormous value and I would be prepared to pay my coach(es).

Cheers, Bart
John Waters

Re: Instructors platform

Post by John Waters »

Great initiative Bart, well done.

John
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

Thanks John.
Would you consider registering yourself as a coach?

Cheers, Bart
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Fine by me mate. I have not undertaken any certification program by any organisation, so I might not be considered qualified to coach. Irrespective, happy to help.

John
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

Thanks John.
I think it will be difficult to say who qualifies as a coach. In the end people will have to choose the coach that works best for them.
If random people register as coach we will have to find a way around this of course ;)

Cheers, Bart
andrewparkeruk

Post by andrewparkeruk »

Bart, I may be missing the point.

When you mentioned "an online platform for instructors" it reminded me that nine years ago (Jul-2012) Denise Maxwell and Dan McCrimmon created the Association of Certified International Casting Instructors (ACICI) with a website http://www.internationalcastinginstructors.com
The idea (I think) was to broaden the "church" of casting instruction from national (FFF, GAIA, AAPGAI, et cetera) or regional organisations.

I hope I am not being too derogatory when I say it did not really get off the ground. Many people registered, and several donated articles, but there seemed to be insufficient energy to take it anywhere.

Only yesterday I was looking at another forum type, invitation only site from around the same time. Lots of very talented anglers joined and that lasted maybe two years.

Sexyloops has been around for over 23 years: my instinct would be to see if Paul feels Sexyloops can host your platform.

Best wishes, Andrew
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

Thanks Andrew,
I have always been looking for ways to get advice from other instructors to speed up the learning process.
This idea was one I could see helping with that.
Giving the lack of response/interest I don’t think it will ever see the light ;)

Cheers, Bart
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I also reminded me of Dan and Denise and the sad result of that. I was thinking about this last week. I doubt there would be enough members to make it viable to pay “instructors’ instructors”. Even at everyday instructor rates it’s often around £50/hr/instructor. (This short non-technical post for example has taken me 25 minutes to write!)

I also don’t teach in this way ie “look at a cast and take faults in order of importance and fix them”. I think it’s far more complex than that. It does make me think about writing something on this subject because that’s certainly NOT what I do when I teach.

Of course we have an instructors’ forum here and I’m more than happy to freely put countless hours into this topic. It’s a very interesting one for me and, as always, in teaching a topic we always learn what we don’t know.

The SL Instructor forum is not private but instead it’s public. I believe in that. I would have to be given a very good reason why it should be private to do that. When I write on this forum, I don’t just write to whoever is reading at the time, or only to Board members; I write for the world at large, so that the information and ideas will be available to everyone in the future as well.

I’ve taught a lot of instructors to pass exams over the years. Over 250 in person. Unfortunately once they have passed their certification they rarely continue to develop in the way they might. My best students, ironically, are often not instructors and I get to teach them to a higher standard than exam requirements. It’s almost like the qualification puts a wall in the way of development. That’s where competition is good of course; the only limit is yourself.

Anyway I will consider writing an instructor series on Sexyloops. A manual of information similar to the Casting Manual of 20 years ago. It’s a vast topic not least because there are student levels. I agree; that information is not out there.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
bartdezwaan

Post by bartdezwaan »

Hi Paul.
I do not doubt the power and advantages of the information that is available on the board.
However, how many people are prepared to post their ideas on a public medium? It's not always a friendly environment and I think a lot of people are hesitant to post.
A while ago a showed you and Mark a video of one of my students. Both of you gave totally different input, which was very valuable. I would have liked to continue the discussion but am not going to spam you guys constantly on messenger. Posting video's of students is probably also not going to happen on a public place.
But maybe I should just continue to ask this questions on something like messenger. Although I would also enjoy seeing feedback from a random instructor. whom I never met before.

Cheers, Bart
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Bart,

You would certainly need permission from the student before posting video of him or her.

Another way it could be done is to invite a number of non-instructor readers to be Board students (they all have a standing invite already!). I have certain methods of teaching intermediate casters, as I’m sure we all do. So we would need to have a “head instructor” for each student.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”