PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Myth busters

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

andrewparkeruk
Answers: 0

Myth busters

Post by andrewparkeruk »

Mike Heritage wrote:Fly lines are fantastic, the only thing in the universe that speed up when the accelerating force is removed.
That's why they cost £70. A bit of a bargain when you think about it.

Andrew
Snake Pliskin

Myth busters

Post by Snake Pliskin »

Paul Arden wrote:No Steve, there is no purpose in flyfishing :p

Maybe it's all very much simpler than we think.

Cheers, Paul
I think it probably isn't simpler than we think. However, I like to think that giving something momentum (fly leg) and shaping the rest to optimise fly delivery, isn't a bad practical way to think about it. As for the actual mechanisms involved in the loop, I'll wait until the engineers have decided to agree on the physics involved before I get too excited. That could be a while I imagine.
The mayfly are fluttering off, and I'm going fishing!
Dirk le Roux

Myth busters

Post by Dirk le Roux »

Mike Heritage wrote:Fly lines are fantastic, the only thing in the universe that speed up when the accelerating force is removed.
Hi Mike

Paul mentioned turnover as well and it is a wonderful thing. Not only to deliver the fly at the correct end of the line.

To make the event of the turnover on itself more interesting, calculate the case of an untethered length of line flying through the air, omit drag for the moment and take a non accelerating constant propagation speed for the turnover at the fold. What you will find is the fly end, fold and rod end all accelerate in relation to the line's center of mass! The graphs can be seen in this post http://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/vie ... =10#p11634 and its neighbours.

Cheers,
Dirk

Return to “Teaching”