PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The 5 Essentials Page

Moderator: Paul Arden

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

The 5 Essentials Page

Post by Paul Arden »

The Five Essentials construct is now live http://www.sexyloops.com/flycast/the-five-essentials/

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Carlos
Answers: 0

The 5 Essentials Page

Post by Carlos »

Hi there,

amazing, I have been trying to get as a straight tracking of the rod tip as I can, and I have been using the drills suggested by Paul in this lesson, namely to pantomime against a wall, pantomime with a laser pointer and casting trying to cover a line in a football field. I also used video analysis, but this is too much of an effort to be practical in routine training.

By far, I find the use of the football field line the most practical and productive. And shows how difficult it is to get a stable technique. Each time I do this drill I have to re-calibrate the stroke. I hope one day I get it right from the first try.

Best regards.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

The 5 Essentials Page

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Carlos,

In the Accuracy video which will be appearing eventually I teach that there is a target in the air behind you and that it has to be in your mind before you start the stroke. It's exactly the same teaching I use for making Snakehead shots. Imagine you have to make the fly hit a bell suspended in the air behind you.

Another good tip (I think it's in the forthcoming distance video) is to begin the stroke reaching slightly forward, so that the start of the Lift can be sliding the rod tip straight back towards you along the length of the line (or directly away from the forward target). This straightness gererally flows into a straight backcast.

In distance training with a long length of line (much later in the videos) the key is to pick targets - back and forward cast - and look to the targets before making each stroke.

It takes a lot of work but it's probably one of the most important aspects of flycasting to learn. Practising accuracy targets is probably the best training. I talk a lot about stance and body alignment in the accuracy video that will be up in a few weeks or so.

Thanks for posting Carlos!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Flybye
Answers: 0

The 5 Essentials Page

Post by Flybye »

Nice Paul best yet
Paul Arden
Site Admin

The 5 Essentials Page

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Tony. Now we're through the basics it should get more interesting for Sexyloopers.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Five Essentials”