PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Tailing loop curve

Moderator: Paul Arden

Ckling
Answers: 0

Tailing loop curve

Post by Ckling »

Hi Paul, just a small observation.
If the back cast tracking is out to the left or right of the intended forward cast the tail catches every time.
The only way that the tail doesn't catch is if you move the rod tip out of the tailing loop once it is formed, a tail and a curve in the casting stroke :D
Guess that is what you are doing!

Cheers
Ling
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Tailing loop curve

Post by Paul Arden »

I agree! But I think this is also achievable by canting the rod.

I don't use this much any more to be honest. Preferring instead trajectory adjustments with a horizontal loop. What the tailing loop curve will do however is introduce slack in the curved portion. This can be done with the other method too and while I can see uses for this, it's not something that I can remember using.

My main use for tailing loops is collapsed cast, tuck cast type layouts, using heavy flies that would not be appropriate for throwing hard overhead to tuck - unless we are intentionally trying to bomb the water :p

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Tailing Loops”