PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Arc to narrow

Moderator: Paul Arden

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Arc to narrow

Post by Paul Arden »

For me it’s a tailing loop x2 or x3 cases in the horizontal plane. It won’t work with a heavy fly because it’s the leader that twists the fly.

Cheers,, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB
Answers: 0

Arc to narrow

Post by VGB »

It’s worth following the advice Malik gives on the video at the bottom.
It is what a call a "crossing" loop - because if it tails the cast collaps. Just a twist when you apply the force : twist the tip and change the plane.
By the way Thomas, try to do it with a side cat ;-)
Best regards
Malik
I fished with him about a month ago; these casts are not party tricks he uses them for drag control. The closest I can describe the movement is that it’s like making a small mend before the stop (technically I realise it’s a cast). I try and draw a small C with the tip.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Arc to narrow

Post by Paul Arden »

Ok we are doing different casts to achieve a similar layout - I think. C works and it is indeed a mend in that it’s a wave the runs down the line and makes the hook. If that’s what you are doing?

What I was shown and it may be a different cast (?) is a horizontal tailing loop that unrolls to flip the fly back over the line.

I can see we need a toffee vodka weekend. :cool:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Arc to narrow

Post by VGB »

We are certainly overdue one Paul. I’m hoping to get Malik over here for a bit of stick waving and fishing next year, he’s looked after me very well when I’ve been over in Switzerland.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Arc to narrow

Post by Paul Arden »

Next year might be tough for me. Third weekend in October this year maybe can do. 2020 I’ll be in Europe for an extended stay. This forward planning thing is such a hoot. Can’t believe I never did it before :cool:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Arc to narrow

Post by VGB »

I can’t see that far forward into October at the moment, I have a package of work that needs to be delivered first week in November.

Regards

Vince

VGB

Arc to narrow

Post by VGB »

This is Maliks video, you don’t see the movement but he does describe it:

https://vimeo.com/54135055

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Arc to narrow

Post by Paul Arden »

There are two ways to make this presentation, one is that the loop unrolls fully forward with the fly beyond the line end, and then the fly kicks back (and across). The other is a horizontal tailing loop where the fly never passes the fly line end but kicks over to the opposite side.

I can do both and they are both different. I do not profess to be an expert in either. But we have two different casts here.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Arc to narrow

Post by VGB »

Malik also showed me some presentation casts with out of plane tails which may well include the one you are talking about. I found it a fascinating approach to drag control that is a very different approach to that normally taught in the UK. The leader designs are a large part of what is going Onassis well. I’m building a fast 7’6” #3 and will play with this over the winter.

Regards

Vince

Thomas_E

Arc to narrow

Post by Thomas_E »

VGB wrote:
It is what a call a "crossing" loop - because if it tails the cast collaps. Just a twist when you apply the force : twist the tip and change the plane.
By the way Thomas, try to do it with a side cat ;-)
Best regards
Malik
I fished with him about a month ago; these casts are not party tricks he uses them for drag control. The closest I can describe the movement is that it’s like making a small mend before the stop (technically I realise it’s a cast). I try and draw a small C with the tip.
Hello,

it's not necessary to twist the tip, to make the "svirgolato."
I don't do that.
Important is the early jerky use of force, so that the rod tip makes the dip.

Yesterday I made it with perch flies, it worked just as well.

To the left, I do it backhand.

Cheers,
Thomas E.

Return to “Tailing Loops”