PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Sidewind (off-shoulder)

Moderator: Paul Arden

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Sidewind (off-shoulder)

Post by Paul Arden »

This video is now live here: http://www.sexyloops.com/flycast/sidewind-off-shoulder/

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Thomas
Answers: 0

Sidewind (off-shoulder)

Post by Thomas »

Nice! I think there is another good reason to angle the rod a bit out to the side in a strong off-shoulder wind and that is simply that a cast with a vertical rod under such conditions becomes very tiring - you really feel the wind pulling and pushing on the rod and it is hard work to keep it traveling straight. It becomes much easier and more comfortable when the rod is angled out a bit to the side.

Cheers Thomas
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Sidewind (off-shoulder)

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Thomas, yes I agree!

Thanks, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Kevin P

Sidewind (off-shoulder)

Post by Kevin P »

Dear Paul,
I find these videos very helpful. I expect the next video clip will be about how to cope with a strong side wind blowing onto the preferred casting shoulder. This is usually done by taking the rod across to the opposite shoulder to avoid the line blowing onto the caster (I know there are at least two other ways - this one seems easiest for most people, though). If you cover this topic, can you please explain how to get a long-enough casting stroke to avoid tailing loops? My experience is that the casting stroke is limited by the rod hand contacting the down-wind shoulder - the amount of line I can carry without tailing and tangling is thus reduced. Put another way, this is a very "closed" stance. I usually cast with a a very open stance, and a long rod path. This suits the softish rod I often use, and also helps me watch the back cast. I cannot get this casting action to work properly when casting off the opposite side of the body. Some people obviously can do it, so please explain!
Kind regards
Kevin
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Sidewind (off-shoulder)

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Kevin, yes it is and yes it's in there! I'm in town tomorrow and I'll make the video live from there. It's possible to cast the same distance as you normally shoot using casting shoulder, in fact I know a few guys who actually cast further cross-body.

Instead of describing it now however, I'll just wait until tomorrow :) :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Sidewind (off-shoulder)

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Until Paul gets good coverage, try with a closed stance. Casting of the non dominant shoulder means you end up opening up, still not getting as long a stroke as is possible over the normal shoulder, but getting closer to it :)

Old clip, Pauls is much better, but shorter ;)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “Off-Shoulder Crosswind”