PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Unified Theory of casting :-)

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

47 is not too old, Carl. Even if you are hitting is as hard as you can! Hope you can make it to England in 2018, especially if you compete for Canada, since that would be one more team :cool:

Cheers,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Merlin
Answers: 0

Post by Merlin »

It seems we have lost Carl, the unified theory appears to lack achievement.

Carl, where are you (fishing)?

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Can we consider that this theory aborted?

Carl disappeared in the icy streams of west coast America likely.

Merlin
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I'm not sure. However it's interesting how people feel casting, which I think is much more down the line of what Carl is doing. It's a pity - I was hoping to see Carl at the World championships.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

It is not how realistic can be such theory by comparison to physics which is interesting, but it is to understand why the teaching issued from it, right or wrong, can be efficient.

So for the time being, frustration is rising.

Merlin
Geenomad

Post by Geenomad »

Merlin wrote:It is not how realistic can be such theory by comparison to physics which is interesting, but it is to understand why the teaching issued from it, right or wrong, can be efficient.

So for the time being, frustration is rising.

Merlin
Hi Merlin
I agree, sort of. :D At the risk of picking nits, I think the issue is learning about casting rather than teaching it. In that regard I think Carl's conceptual framework has a lot to offer - regardless of its conformity with the gospel of St Physics.

When it comes to casting the well of physics soon enough runs dry. There is more to doing than knowing the maths.

Cheers
Mark
"The line of beauty is the result of perfect economy." R. W. Emerson.
https://thecuriousflycaster.com
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Carl is busy finishing his bathroom, I think he'll be back when it's done, unless there's fishing, fishing always wins ;)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Hi Mark
In that regard I think Carl's conceptual framework has a lot to offer - regardless of its conformity with the gospel of St Physics.
Agree, St Physics is just there to keep your enthusiasm within reasonable limits of expectations (e.g. not reinventing the everlasting motion).

Merlin
Walter

Post by Walter »

Physicists have a hard time understanding that teaching and knowing aren't the same for all disciplines. I think it's because it would be impossible to teach or learn physics using the sort of teaching analogies that are effective in fly casting and other sports. For example, talking about the rod as a wave storage device would make the physicist cringe and would never be heard in a physics class but this thread isn't about teaching physics. It's one person's discussion of a teaching analogy that they have come up with and found to be effective. I think it's a bit like Mel's discussion about engineers and poets. I would classify the unified theory as one for the poets because the engineers will be too busy pointing out the flaws to be able to use it. From my point of view a name like, "the unified theory of casting" should have been avoided because of the likelihood to spark strong negative reactions from the engineers.

SL can be a tough crowd. :???:
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Walter,

Yes we are on the poet side and to my knowledge no engineering issue is going to be raised unless there a fundamental rule wiped away by this unified theory.

Since instructors show some selfsatisfaction with their approach, it would be nice to get the other side of the coin by having the opinion of students. Does such theory help them and in which way? That would be a very interesting point to capture their needs.

Merlin

Return to “Flycasting”