PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Horizontal casting on non-dominant side

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Lou Bruno
Answers: 0

Post by Lou Bruno »

Graeme H wrote:G'day Lou,

One of the things I found helpful when trying to sort out my own loops in this task was to make sure I maintained a good translation phase of the stroke. It was very easy to fall into the trap of only rotating during the cast on the off side. My solution was to ensure a good transfer of weight between my feet, moving my body in the direction of the cast.

I also raise my hand to shoulder level in this task. With the rod plane raised, the line speed can be reduced.

Cheers,
Graeme
Graeme

Out playing with horizontal loops, I'm still not happy with my results, things feel awkward. But, I agree with you that using more translation is important. How much rotation do you use and is it the result of wrist rotation?

Back to my practice...

Lou
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

G'day Lou,

I use the appropriate amount of rotation. :) (I don't really know how to answer this any other way. I don't measure it with a protractor, it's just done by feel and visual feedback from the loop shape and altering the stroke based on experience.)

Rotation in this cast - as with others - is achieved through various joints, the wrist being one of them. The elbow, shoulder and spine are also rotating. The key is to minimise the rotation to the appropriate amount because the natural tendency is to have too much rotation (at least it is for me.)

I realise these answers aren't much use to you. Without being there with you, I can't really point you towards a better cast.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
VGB

Post by VGB »

Hi Lou

Good translation was the solution to my problem with horizontal casts as well. I was moved to a fully open stance to help with this and I had a tendency to carry too much line which meant I was snatching at the stroke to stop it ticking.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

Graeme

Your answer is what I was expecting. Right now, after much practice as well as making changes, I'm beginning to feel comfortable. That was missing, my cast were herky-jerky...felt awkward.
I'll be meeting up with my coach this fall, in Florida, USA. I want to show some improvements.
Appreciate you taking time to answer.

Lou
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

VGB wrote:Hi Lou

Good translation was the solution to my problem with horizontal casts as well. I was moved to a fully open stance to help with this and I had a tendency to carry too much line which meant I was snatching at the stroke to stop it ticking.

Regards

Vince
Vince

I like your description "snatching"
I understand, my BC are much better then the FC. Still feel like im "snatching" only on the FC. Working on that! Adding translation was one improvement. I'm working on one change at time, pulling from our casting repertoire to see the effect.

No short cuts...practice, practice, practice.

Thanks
Lou
VGB

Post by VGB »

Hi Lou

I think the tendency to snatch at it is instinctive and I have to make a conscious effort not to do it. Having a fully open stance helped me watch the fly come around on both BC and FC and I can mostly control my reaction now but it still goes to worms if I am aiming ata fish.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Flybye

Post by Flybye »

Forcing the line under the rod tip generally deals with ticking
TK
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Lou

I use (and teach) horizontal casts a lot.

What has helped me is casting over a line on the ground, which is another way to align your loops to targets front and back.

I start off with my toes parallel to the line and essentially cast to the right and to the left so I can watch the loops and line trajectory easily. This way you establish the correct timing and stroke. Practice this first with your preferred grip, then with your palm facing up, and then with your palm facing down.

When you are happy with your loops and trajectory for a certain amount of line - move your feet and rotate your body to change the casts from side-to-side to back and forth. The trick is to maintain the good cast no matter what body position (or palm orientation) you are in.

Palm up: imagine you are delivering a nice horizontal forward cast (or backcast) for delivery. With your palm down you are now ready to practice cross-body.

The trick is to establish and maintain the good loops and tip path first. That is the primary goal. The position of your body is optional and secondary.

Try that and see if it helps?
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

Mangrove Cuckoo wrote:Lou

I use (and teach) horizontal casts a lot.

What has helped me is casting over a line on the ground, which is another way to align your loops to targets front and back.

I start off with my toes parallel to the line and essentially cast to the right and to the left so I can watch the loops and line trajectory easily. This way you establish the correct timing and stroke. Practice this first with your preferred grip, then with your palm facing up, and then with your palm facing down.

When you are happy with your loops and trajectory for a certain amount of line - move your feet and rotate your body to change the casts from side-to-side to back and forth. The trick is to maintain the good cast no matter what body position (or palm orientation) you are in.

Palm up: imagine you are delivering a nice horizontal forward cast (or backcast) for delivery. With your palm down you are now ready to practice cross-body.

The trick is to establish and maintain the good loops and tip path first. That is the primary goal. The position of your body is optional and secondary.

Try that and see if it helps?
I will practice this. Thanks for the recommendation. Everyone sort of agrees to break the task down into smaller parts. I feel a bit more confident, in as much as I'm comfortable. Whereas as I felt I was "snatching" my line.

Lou

Return to “Flycasting”