PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Wind outdoors vs indoor flycasting

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Sasse

Post by Sasse » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:10 am

What is your opinion about wind vs length?
Also about how far its possibly to cast indoor with Trout Distance equipment?

For me indoor is the most interesting and most exacting competition of them all.
Do or do not, there is no try

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:13 am

Hi Sasse

It depends in the indoor venue :)
Big enough, and the right conditions, well into the 40's

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

http://www.karlssonflyfishing.com

***Bring Mark back!!!!!! ***

Sasse

Post by Sasse » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:23 am

Lasse Karlsson wrote:Hi Sasse

It depends in the indoor venue :)
Big enough, and the right conditions, well into the 40's

Cheers
Lasse
Do you really think it effects the casting?

I have only cast 3 competitions indoor and i have performed almost the same at al different times. I have hard to see that the air humidity and air temp +- 5-10c and +- 20% humidity affects the length.
Do or do not, there is no try

Marc Fauvet

Post by Marc Fauvet » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:04 am

hej Sasse !
the indoors environment can change change a lot. at the Boson Open (Stockholm) 2 years ago the artificial grass was wet, enough to have a wet ass when i sat on it... you could feel it in the air. there had been a lot of football playing and whatever else heavy breathing activities just before.
Siikavaara still managed 38+m in 5wt :cool:
http://thelimpcobra.com/2012/12/17/dist ... nt-styles/

cheers,
marc

Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:29 am

Hi All
There was a discussion before about air conditions on distancse casting/loop turnover.
When I cast early in the mornimg(windless conditions),when the frost is still on the grass, it seems the loops drop earlier. When the sun start heating up, the frost melts and vaporates, warm air is going up and help a bit for the loop to stay longer in the air and turover better . Or maybe the sun warms me up and I cast better :p
I havent tried distance indorss, but last week I castetd indoors. the space was enough to carry around 25m of line, but not shooting.What Ive noticed thet wot pit any blow of side wind or anything, I tarcked really straight,and the same time the loop speed was fast.
I was really pleased with my self, and I think I could do well in indoors casting.
Womt find oit till I do it.
cheers
mike

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:19 am

It also depends on altitude. Denver is very different to sea level. In some indoor venues like the Danish fly festival the air feels "heavy". While I've cast indoors quite often at trade shows, unfortunately only in very few places have I had sufficient room to throw distance.

Cheers Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:52 am

...and for those who think that casting huge distance with the big tail wind is easy, I must say that with out fast,low, tight loop in the back cast, the tail wind wont help you to set a record.
Loop looses its energy on the end of unroling, and becomes slower, if the wind blows in to the slow unroling loop, it makes it lose its tension,creates slack, and you starting your delivery cast with wasting part of the stroke to recover the slack from a sloppy loop.
Tail wind helps,as the good rod helps, but we need to learn to use it.
cheers
mike

Marc Fauvet

Post by Marc Fauvet » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:54 am

do you get a lot of 'big tail winds' casting indoors, Mike ?

Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:18 am

Hi Sasse,
casting indoor means no wind usually. So this of course is good to compare between casters casting in the same indoor place. Changing the location can mean to change alltitude. This makes a significant difference. Also air temperature can make a difference (I think not as significant as changes in alltitude).
And then it will be a question, if you are casting over the floor collecting dirt on the line, or if you cast at a pool having yourline wet all the time.

Comparing windless outside and indoors I would prefer indoors! Why? Because yet it gave me good results compared to quite many windless outdoor days. Could have different reasons. Standing on grass I might "tick" sometimes. Indoor this might have less negative impact, if it happens on the (almost slippery flat) floor.

Having (tail)wind outside, it might help to some degree and then it starts to kill the bc usually. So it depends on the wind and the caster, what it means. No doubt a tailwind will make for the higher records usually.

I don't think we will see a 5 wt. tournament helt indoors offering similuar results like the WC in Norway last year, where quite some casters had significant tailwinds.
Greets
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.

Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:33 am

Sasse wrote:What is your opinion about wind vs length?
I refer to the first part of the question Marc

mike

Return to “Flycasting”