PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Fishtailing on fly leg/leader ?

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

resdog
Answers: 0

Post by resdog »

Hi all,

I have noticed sometimes the very end of the line/leader on the fly leg will fishtail. The leader will still roll out but not always straight and it looks like crap. I am aware of a few problems I am working on which may be the source and I am trying to do a process of elimination. Generally , I observe a problem and than look for the solution here and in the APP.

Here are some of the suspects:
1) Not drifting long enough
2) Excessive acceleration/smooth
3) SLP. I have noticed I rotate around the shoulder slightly on the backcast with my hand above ear level. This could be
due to rotator issues , not major but there are some cal. deposits or so the Doc says. My foot position is toes facing target and casting leg back. This results in a slight figure 8 of the rod tip. It may also be I am not rotating at the hip ? lack of body maybe ?

I use the key grip rather than thumb on top since it makes me prone to thumping the rod. Would a more open stance/foot position help ? Any recommended drills to do ? I practice " dry casting " against a wall to try to solve the figure 8 and commit the motion to muscle memory.

Unrelated but something I am working on , What is considered a " good loop gap " ( 8" ? 3 feet ? ) I went to the FFF page and read the testing criteria to get a base line to measure my progress. They look for consistent loops about 3' and under and the ability to open on command. BTW , putting the line thru a hoop at 50' sure looks a lot easier than it is ! Is the line actually supposed to pass completely thru and leader roll out ? I find it even harder the closer I get....

Any thoughts
Thanks
Paul
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Paul, it's a wave of some sort. Let me ask you two questions, 1) which way Is it fish tailing, down/left/right? And 2) can you describe your leader configuration and flyline type?

Thanks!
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
resdog

Post by resdog »

Hi Paul,

The fish tailing is generally left/right and my leader is a knotless tapered 9' down to 4X (RIO) to which I add 3-4 more feet of 4 to 5 X tippet and a clip of fluff yarn.

Thanks
Paul
resdog

Post by resdog »

I forgot , the line is SA Trout DT5F on a 905 rod. The line has a built in loop ,so it is loop 2 loop connection and the leader is knotted at the added section.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Ok so right handed caster and the fluff hooks to the left of the line? There are a few potential causes - but the root cause is the same. If you look at the tip path during the casting stroke from above in relation to the fly line it's making an S-shape. This can be because your backcast isn't 180 degrees in line with the forward - but instead off shoulder. It can also be that you are putting the twist in there with your hand. Finally it can even be just a tilt of casting plane of the rod; it deviates first to the outside of the line as it unloads and then Counterflex brings it inside.

The most common cause is the first one. But they are all major causes. And I think they are the only causes.

So that's how it's happebing. How to fix it I would recommend practising throwing at targets. Draw back from the target during the lift, keep your shoulders square to the target, in you mind pick a target in the air that directly aligns your forward target, and consciously move your hand straight in the delivery and not cross body.

That's how I usually try to fix it anyway. If you're dismtance casting and it'a only appearing on your distance then I have a different routine!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
resdog

Post by resdog »

I just went outside and test drove the advise. I squared my shoulders to target , left foot back ( cast left hand) and that works a lot better ! It also it feels a lot better on the shoulder. I did have my shoulders before in a more open stance ? kind of like an archer with the forward foot pointing at the target and the back foot at 45 degrees. When is a open stance used ? I have studied video of you guys casting big distance and I see some of the guys bend backward (contort) and bring the rod straight over the body ? This configuration ( square ) works for me for any fishing distance I think I will need and sure is a lot more comfortable. I am not really working on distance right now , trying to perfect the game 65' and under in regards to accuracy , delivery and consistent loop size. My timing on the haul is pretty good but goes to hell when I carry more than 60' of line , I think I get too anxious and use too much power and speed up the cast than time timing goes to the crapper.

Lilting out of plane , you are hit that one on the head. I have been struggling with that one but this seems to help a lot. I can tell when I do it b/c the rod feels like a telephone pole as I try to bring it back into line.
resdog

Post by resdog »

I have no idea how that reply got included in the quote ?

sorry bout that !
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Took out the quote :p

Flycasting Definitions
resdog

Post by resdog »

I just did some more practice casting , what a huge difference this makes in accuracy and line speed. I have a more abrupt stop on the back cast and constant tension on the line ! This is great !! :yeahhh:

Thanks Paul ! you are the Man !

Cheers
the other Paul
resdog

Post by resdog »

no more fish tailing leader too and the loops are better !!

Return to “Flycasting”