PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Trailing loop or tailing loop ?

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Merlin
Answers: 0

Post by Merlin »

For me it is Paul

The example I took from Jim Green, in my opinion, fits that definition. It is not a fault but the result of different paths for the line between forward and backward casting, different angles for tip path.

If you show that to a beginner it may be difficult for him to understand the difference with a tailing loop, the origin of which being in a change of tip path during casting (forwards or backwards).

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

It is not a fault but the result of different paths for the line between forward and backward casting, different angles for tip path
I agree it's tip path/line path. However the definition Walter posted says that trailing loops are a result of gravity. Maybe in this case it is. Maybe it's not. In the case of a roll cast it most certainly is not.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

11) Trailing (Underslung) loop – straight or upward curving top leg that falls below the bottom leg due to gravity
My italics.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

This loop didn't fall into place, it was cast that way. So this wouldn't fit the definition.

Flycasting Definitions
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

This underslung (trailing) loop thing confuses me a little.

First an operational question: If someone threw tight underslung loops in the CI exam, in a near-vertical plane, say in task 1, would that be acceptable?

Clarification: I don't throw underslung loops when casting overhead. But if someone asked me to throw loops that were as tight as possible, with minimal line speed, underslung loops would be my first intuitive approach. No risk of hitting the rod.

I see underslung loops thrown often by relatively good casters, and more often in backcasts. But I am not sure yet what to think of them. I remember analysing the overhead casts of a famous rod designer years ago, and thinking that he cheated in his casting to make super tight loops. :D

I found this thread by searching for "underslung loop." Does anyone know of more detailed discussions on this topic?
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I read recently that the IFF require vertical loops both forward and back for their exams now. So I think from that statement underslung loops would not be acceptable. However they are not looking for super tight loops so there should be no danger of clipping the rod tip with the line.

I agree that for very tight loops they need to be slightly out of plane to avoid collision.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

Hi Paul.

Yes, I think so too: vertical loops only in the exam. I think it makes sense from the point of view of teaching, because the underslung thingy can certainly confuse a student. Maybe even an instructor.

Given how much has been written on fly casting, I find it weird that there is so little on underslung loops. I have three relatively well known fly casting books with me here right now. I could not find anything about trailing or underslung loops in any of them. In all of them the diagrams on tailing loops look suspiciously similar to underslung loops.

Do we need an article on underslung loops. Could we get one?
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

I don't think there's anything in the exam that asks for vertical loops Paul.

All it says is that they have to have reasonably parallel legs, which would probably rule out a "trailing" loop. The loops have to be suitable for instruction so the separation between the rod leg and the fly leg should be clear enough and the cast slow enough for a student to observe. So, so long as you can do that, if you are a bit off vertical, I don't think an examiner is going to be too upset provided they stay in the casting plane.

Anyway, the way I cast, if I try to stand the loop right up, there is quite a high probability that I'll fall over backwards.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

FFi states the loops have to be in the same plane on the front and back casts unless otherwise specified in the exam for MCI. (I don't know about CCI now.)

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

You want these loops to have parallel legs in the same plane
CI Performance Test Tips.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

Return to “Flycasting”