PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Trailing loop or tailing loop ?

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

Paul Arden wrote:I've seen a definition somewhere that equates trailing with underslung. Would have been an IFF one.
Are you referring to the last diagram on this page?

https://www.flyfishersinternational.org ... fault.aspx
Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote:
Inverted for me would be pendulum. I've never heard it referred to as underslung. (There was a time it was called underhand!).

Cheers Paul
Oddly, I agree on this..

But your example earlier on, the stills from a movieclip, are just a loop thrown on the side. Watched from true perspective relative to the loop plane, it would be your usual 20 feet wide thingy :p

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Either way Jarmo, dont throw those in the test. Assessors want to see well defined parallel loops and there will be one looking from the side and one looking from behind to check its in plane.

Please dont get too hung up on the definitions.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
jarmo

Post by jarmo »

Stoatstail50 wrote:Either way Jarmo, dont throw those in the test.
I will try to hide my interest in them to the best that I can. :) Quoting myself from above:
jarmo wrote:I don't throw underslung loops when casting overhead. I would if looking for absolute tightest loops. But in general, I don't, and for the CI, I don't.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Yep that's where I saw it! Thanks Jarmo.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

I quote from the MCI test paper.

"The loop size for all casts, except the roll and Spey casts will be measured as follows; The distance from the fly leg to the rod leg of the fly line as the nail knot (fly line to leader connection) passes the rod tip, at a point approximately 3-4 feet ((.9 -1.2 m) back from the leading edge of the loop".

One simple question to ask - "Is the fly leg straight?" - yes - move on.

No its not straight - "Houston we have a problem".

Crossing legs seems a more apt and simple description for the configuration in question - fly leg is straight, but the legs cross - that's fine.

"Trailing loop" sounds too much like "tailing loop". Doesn't work, has never worked, always causes confusion.

Underslung loop (for me) should be when the fly leg travels beneath the rod leg.
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
jarmo

Re: Trailing loop or tailing loop ?

Post by jarmo »

How do you throw a trailing (crossing) loop?

I have just watched a DVD with a world-class caster throwing many of these. They are not due to gravity (changing a regular loop to a trailing one). They are thrown directly in the trailing form.

My only guess is tilted rod plane, relatively early rotation. But honestly, I do not know, and my guess probably does not make any sense. :)

PS. If you have bought any used rods recently, check the tubes for 55 million euros.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Tilted rod plane. No different from a common roll cast loop. Quite a loss on the rod tube :D

Flycasting Definitions
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Hi Jarmo,

I think they are due to gravity. If you cast slow and with tight loops you'll see them. This is because the backcast is always dropping due to gravity thus the forward cast has an upward trajectory if you allow the backcast sufficient time to sink. Try casting fast and then slow and see if there's a difference.

James
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I personally wouldn’t say it’s gravity, because the line can be put there and shaped that way without it. Of course gravity can put the line there but so too can we (low backcast, D-loop etc). Furthermore not every cast appears with crossed loops and every cast is subject to gravity. So while gravity can cause the fly leg to cross the rod leg In this way I wouldn’t say it was the root cause.

Of course I might be wrong. It’s been known before :D

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”