PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Centrifugal force?

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Unregistered
Answers: 0

Centrifugal force?

Post by Unregistered »

There is a line of thinking that, for explaining casting mechanics, uses the concept of centrifugal force. As an example a quote taken from viewtopic.php?f=11&t=100&start=50:
If I hang a stone at the end of my fly line and want it to get highest possible speed. Would I better accelerate it following a straight rod tip path or swing it on a huge convex (half of a circle) move?
I think the last one results in much more speed for the stone? Shouldn't the last one have centrifugal forces helping to increase speed dramatically?
IMHO we don't need centrifugal force to explain how a cast works:

[vimeo]61296034[/vimeo]
Bernd Ziesche

Centrifugal force?

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

;) I agee.
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Unregistered

Centrifugal force?

Post by Unregistered »

Bernd Ziesche wrote:

;) I agee.
Good explanation in that video: centrifugal force is just the reaction to centripetal force. But even so it isn't acting on the marble, it is exerted by the marble on the string and hand.
VGB

Centrifugal force?

Post by VGB »

Thumbs up from me :cool:
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Alejandro

Centrifugal force?

Post by Alejandro »

Aitor wrote:
Bernd Ziesche wrote:
;) I agee.
Good explanation in that video: centrifugal force is just the reaction to centripetal force. But even so it isn't acting on the marble, it is exerted by the marble on the string and hand.
I do not understand spoken English. If actually said in the video that centrifugal force is a reaction to the centripetal force, under the principle of action and reaction, in my opinion is a big mistake.
Aitor's video seems me much more enlightening, and much more beautiful.
Centrifugal force is the name given to the inertia in a circular motion. Just like inertia is not a real force.
It is true that with a sling can throw a stone much faster than by hand, but the reason has nothing to do with the centrifugal force and a lot with the difference in the linear speed of the hand and the stone when both rotate with the same angular velocity. It is somewhat similar to use a lever.

Alejandro
Bernd Ziesche

Centrifugal force?

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Alejandro wrote:Just like inertia is not a real force.
Hi Alejandro,
can get pretty real in a car crash, if you did not fasten your seat belt?! :p
(I understand why it is not a real force, too.). ;)
Greets
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Alejandro

Centrifugal force?

Post by Alejandro »

Bernd Ziesche wrote:
Alejandro wrote:Just like inertia is not a real force.
can get pretty real in a car crash, if you did not fasten your seat belt?! :p
(I understand why it is not a real force, too.). ;)
Hi Bernd,
That's the problem. A person moving at constant speed is not aware that if nothing prevents it continue to move in the same direction at the same speed forever.
It is difficult to understand that inertia is not a force in the classical sense (do not ask me what it is exactly inertia do not think anyone knows).

Alejandro
VGB

Centrifugal force?

Post by VGB »

Alejandro wrote: That's the problem. A person moving at constant speed is not aware that if nothing prevents it continue to move in the same direction at the same speed forever.
It is difficult to understand that inertia is not a force in the classical sense (do not ask me what it is exactly inertia do not think anyone knows).
Inertia keeps me in my chair, drinking beer and watching rugby instead of gardening

... despite what physics says, my mass will increase :pirate:
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
TrevH

Centrifugal force?

Post by TrevH »

VGB wrote:
Inertia keeps me in my chair, drinking beer and watching rugby instead of gardening

... despite what physics says, my mass will increase :pirate:

:D :D :D

Return to “Flycasting”