PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The Borger corkscrew cast/mend

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Massew
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:37 pm
Location: Stockholm

The Borger corkscrew cast/mend

#21

Post by Massew » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:29 pm

So I did a few corkscrews today. Now it seems incomprehensible that I found the movements so hard to do. I even managed to add the haul. However, the curves weren't so much 90 degrees as they were 45. The tailwind I had probably didn't help but I need to work a lot more on the curve. It was good fun to be out practising.
IFFF CCI
"The motives of fishermen are dreadfully obscure" - David Eddings

Mac Brown
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:11 am
Location: Bryson City, NC USA
Contact:

The Borger corkscrew cast/mend

#22

Post by Mac Brown » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:44 pm

Massew, The cork screw lands in the shape of the ? because it is a travelling wave. You can throw the ? to either side by reversing the motion.
If you want a 90* learn a different cast such as a positive curve cast. Good luck, mac
.><((((º> .><((((º> .><((((º>

Mac Brown

Bryson City, NC, USA

cell (828-736-1469)

https://macbrownflyfish.com
https://flyfishingguideschool.com

Massew
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:37 pm
Location: Stockholm

The Borger corkscrew cast/mend

#23

Post by Massew » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:01 pm

Mac Brown wrote:Massew, The cork screw lands in the shape of the ? because it is a travelling wave. You can throw the ? to either side by reversing the motion.
If you want a 90* learn a different cast such as a positive curve cast. Good luck, mac
Hi Mac, thanks for your input. I'm getting there. There will more casting when I get the time to do it. However, much can be accomplished with a Redington Form and roll casts on the floor. I like the hook cast for 90 degrees myself. It has a certain grace I think.

Cheers, Massew
IFFF CCI
"The motives of fishermen are dreadfully obscure" - David Eddings

User avatar
Jason Borger
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:25 pm

The Borger corkscrew cast/mend

#24

Post by Jason Borger » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:42 pm

Massew wrote:Hi Mac, thanks for your input. I'm getting there. There will more casting when I get the time to do it. However, much can be accomplished with a Redington Form and roll casts on the floor. I like the hook cast for 90 degrees myself. It has a certain grace I think.

Cheers, Massew
How's the cast coming along, Massew? I really like the Corcksrew because it is relatively vertical and so strong in delivery. For me, a real "real world" fishing cast in tough conditions.
I grew up surrounded by Fish, Flies & Water.

Massew
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:37 pm
Location: Stockholm

The Borger corkscrew cast/mend

#25

Post by Massew » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:01 pm

Jason Borger wrote:
Massew wrote:Hi Mac, thanks for your input. I'm getting there. There will more casting when I get the time to do it. However, much can be accomplished with a Redington Form and roll casts on the floor. I like the hook cast for 90 degrees myself. It has a certain grace I think.

Cheers, Massew
How's the cast coming along, Massew? I really like the Corcksrew because it is relatively vertical and so strong in delivery. For me, a real "real world" fishing cast in tough conditions.
Hi Jason, haven't seen your post until now. Well, I haven't been out much since the December so I guess I'm where I was.

Someone told me a few years ago that you mustn't use your wrist while doing this cast. I had forgotten about that but I recently remembered. Do you agree? I cannot recall if you say that in your book and I cannot check it at the moment.

Cheers, Mathias
IFFF CCI
"The motives of fishermen are dreadfully obscure" - David Eddings

jarmo
Posts: 212
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:48 pm

Re: The Borger corkscrew cast/mend

#26

Post by jarmo » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:31 am

A number of years ago I played around with the idea of a corkscrew cast/mend, but at that time it failed miserably. I am planning to take a new try. Doing a quick search today, I found this nice, recent demo:


User avatar
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Posts: 14285
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:20 am
Answers: 1
Location: Belum Rainforest
Contact:

Re: The Borger corkscrew cast/mend

#27

Post by Paul Arden » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:11 am

For me that wouldn’t be corkscrew cast/mend and that’s the mend only creating the curve. In fact for the Corkscrew curve the mend actually goes the other way, but the resultant curve is the same. But I’m reserving the name “corkscrew curve” for Jason’s cast. Thomas’ video above shows it nicely.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

jarmo
Posts: 212
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:48 pm

Re: The Borger corkscrew cast/mend

#28

Post by jarmo » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:38 am

Paul Arden wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:11 am
For me that wouldn’t be corkscrew cast/mend and that’s the mend only creating the curve. In fact for the Corkscrew curve the mend actually goes the other way, but the resultant curve is the same. But I’m reserving the name “corkscrew curve” for Jason’s cast. Thomas’ video above shows it nicely.
Jeez, no wonder I was (am?) having difficulties with this, i can not differentiate between them even on video!

I read the detailed description from Jason's book this morning: sharp cut "in," followed by semicircular movement "out." I doubt that description helps... Nonetheless, in the video above, the cut in is clear, and then there is at least the beginning of the semicircular move. If I assume that the rod tip ends on the straight line path, then I think the semicircular move is complete.

So I would have thought it corresponds to the corkscrew. But (how) little do I know?

User avatar
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Posts: 14285
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:20 am
Answers: 1
Location: Belum Rainforest
Contact:

Re: The Borger corkscrew cast/mend

#29

Post by Paul Arden » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:32 am

Looking from behind the caster in the above video the tip travels (1). In JB’s Curve the tip should travel (2).
8FB06446-E685-4E00-982C-1DA8821A4CE2.jpeg
8FB06446-E685-4E00-982C-1DA8821A4CE2.jpeg (44.05 KiB) Viewed 930 times
To learn the overpowered curve try this page https://www.sexyloops.com/flycast/overp ... urve-cast/ But remember to start always trying to curve a short length of line and then gradually increase distance! :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

jarmo
Posts: 212
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:48 pm

Re: The Borger corkscrew cast/mend

#30

Post by jarmo » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:33 am

Assuming that the cut-in is separate from the preceding stroke, your diagram 2 ("what it should be") matches my understanding of what it should be:
corkscrew.png
corkscrew.png (2.78 KiB) Viewed 901 times
(Sorry for the reverse direction, proceeding from the bottom to the top.)

Overpowered curve is not a problem. I would just like to learn this one.

Post Reply

Return to “Flycasting”