PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

rod accuracy

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 1

rod accuracy

Post by Paul Arden » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:36 pm

The USA team hammered everyone in accuracy. I'll find out what they were using!
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Lasse Karlsson

rod accuracy

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:44 pm

Paul, they where using 40 year old rods...

If you think the rod is why they won, then I have a couple of eiffel towers and half of Sahara you can buy!

Cheers
Lasse, pretty accurate distance caster :D
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

http://www.karlssonflyfishing.com

***Bring Mark back!!!!!! ***

gordonjudd

rod accuracy

Post by gordonjudd » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:49 pm

Today most rods have multiple layers at various angle (for fibers). I found a difference in precision between my G rods (80s), and the new ones (post 2005). They twist less which makes a difference IMHO.
Merlin,
What "twist" are you talking about here? Is it related to oval tip path that you see when a rod vibrates off its dynamic spline axis that Dr. Spolek talked about and was discussed on the old board in this thread.

Or is it the 180 degree twist that Paul talked about here?

I can see how 45 degree offset layers could minimize the spine problem (Fenwick did that in golf shafts 20 years ago) but I don't see how you could eliminate the twist produced by the line pull from the tip top on the relatively weak tip that Paul talked about using offset layers.

Gordy

WJC

rod accuracy

Post by WJC » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:17 pm

Paul,

I was watching a youtube video of Steve Rajeff at a competition linked to below to see what he does, then went outside and tried it. For the salt fishing I like best, and which has disappeared from my area years ago, that kind of accuracy is down to about #4 in priorities as far as catching fish goes.

However, Steve switches his line of sight back and forth between the loop and the target on each forward false cast and I'd bet money he wears a baseball cap for all his accuracy competitions.

He picks up the loop as soon as it becomes visable, then switches down to the target as it is unrolling. After a little practice outside, it made a big difference for me, but I don't know if it was just a placebo effect or not.

I also don't know if that is a standard technique either for competition accuracy, but that is how I would do it if I ever entered a competition.

His techinque is easily seen at the beginning of the video by watching his head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ra8fDNSmk8

Cheers,
Jim

Paul Arden
Site Admin

rod accuracy

Post by Paul Arden » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:27 pm

Yes of course! IMO the USA guys are by far the best. Australia is also very good, from what I've seen - hell it's what these guys practise and it's mostly what they compete. Steve, Chris, Clive, even Maxine will have spent far longer then me at throwing at targets and I try to emulate Steve's cast in this regards. However the observation was that they prefer older softer rods for this. I think I know why of course - it gives a longer tip travel. Anyway, the point was that they are choosing these older rods in preference to new ones for accuracy.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

WJC

rod accuracy

Post by WJC » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:36 pm

Oh. Having never competed or practiced accuracy simply for accuracy's sake, I didn't know that's how everyone does it. And I can see how a slightly softer rod would likely be a bit easier.

Paul Arden
Site Admin

rod accuracy

Post by Paul Arden » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:53 pm

There are different techniques. I use the same stance but haven't learned their stroke yet. It's going to take quite a lot of work, but they are awesome to watch. Maybe I'll swap strokes with one of them :) Glenn was very interested in what we are doing in the 5-WT distance.

Flycasting Definitions

Lasse Karlsson

rod accuracy

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:31 pm

Paul Arden wrote:I think I know why of course - it gives a longer tip travel. Anyway, the point was that they are choosing these older rods in preference to new ones for accuracy.

Cheers, Paul
Why do you think longer tip travel helps? We're really talking inches here if not less, actually, given a really stiff rod it might be shorter :upside:

I can see one reason, and that would be it's less fatigue using a softer rod compared to a stiff one for long practices of accuracy, you said that ;)
And since the tool we use the most is the one that perform best in our hands, bobs your uncle :whistle:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

http://www.karlssonflyfishing.com

***Bring Mark back!!!!!! ***

John Waters

rod accuracy

Post by John Waters » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:11 pm

There are two techniques used by accuracy casters to hit targets.

One is that shown by Steve Rajeff where the caster sights the fly by following the loop to the target and then have the fly "appear" over the hoop.

Two, is only seeing the target, and have the fly "appear" over it.

Irrespective, the more important aspect is to have the fly bounce or kick at the end of the false cast and that is why soft tip rods are favoured by some. You will also see that many underline their rods for this outcome, lighter line does not drop and tick water, caster can apply more speed to the loop and still keep fly visibility under control.

I am like Lasse, I now use very fast rods and get better visibility of the fly than I used to with softer rods. have to speed up the stroke, shorten the arc but that adds to fly flutter for me.

Of course, at my age, I need all the help I can get. Can't hear the judge call the targets and can't see any of them anyway, but every now and again I get a lucky one in. :-)

John

John

John Waters

rod accuracy

Post by John Waters » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:13 pm

Oh I stutter on the keyboard as well.

John

Return to “Flycasting”