PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

rod accuracy

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Lasse Karlsson

rod accuracy

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:27 pm

Hi John

Know the feeling, I started out in the WC by forgetting the first target :D If you really really wanna feel stupid, hit the second target, and then wonder why no one is calling it, until the timekeeper, leans in and says, you have to hit that one again.........

Cheers
Lasse

Ps. Edit time is about 15 minutes, button is next to the "quote" one for the time one can edit :)
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

http://www.karlssonflyfishing.com

***Bring Mark back!!!!!! ***

John Waters

rod accuracy

Post by John Waters » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:33 pm

Hi Lasse,

It is a bloody disgrace that fly accuracy events the world over require a structure to be enforced upon the caster, like casting to the correct hoop in a sequence, not having the centre hoop under your fly when you deliver etc etc etc. I reckon we should score it as a "that's close enough" based upon the concept that the only reason I did not score a perfect round was the one/s I missed, and that should not be held against me.

Better get my act together for 2018.

John

WJC

rod accuracy

Post by WJC » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:38 am

John Waters wrote:There are two techniques used by accuracy casters to hit targets.

One is that shown by Steve Rajeff where the caster sights the fly by following the loop to the target and then have the fly "appear" over the hoop.

Two, is only seeing the target, and have the fly "appear" over it.

John
Thanks John. It never occurred to me to watch the loop unroll to a target as close as what Steve is going after in that video. I think about he only time I've intentionally watched the loop is when it's a distant fish - especially when shooting line to it so I can feather and not over shoot and spook it. If I do take my eye off a tailing fish it is not for but a very brief time. There are usually more than one, and a lot of casts get aborted when another one pops up in a bad spot.

But I was surprised how well watching the loop on the short, stationary target seemed to work.

Cheers,
Jim

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 1

rod accuracy

Post by Paul Arden » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:30 am

From Chris Korich on the subject,
Hi Paul, great to hear from you! I'm flying out the door to pick up the McCormick kids (M has a little 5 yr-old brother) and have some Friday holiday FUN!

In short, Glenn, Maxine and I all used 8.5' first gen graphite rods from the 70's at the WC. Quite a few fellow competitors tested them after the finals (while the platform Spey was running).

A year ago in preparation, we DID test a good number of other rods from 1980 Graphite II's to the latest/highest modulus 5 & 6wt rated rods (8.5 to 9'), but nothing came close in calm to windy training conditions, given the specific efficient casting mechanics we teach and preach at our West coast clubs.

Thanks for the direct thread link. I'll try to log in later tonight and check out the interesting conversation subject.

Cheers,

Chris
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

John Waters

rod accuracy

Post by John Waters » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:35 am

Whilst your rod and technique is designed to sight the fly over the target, allow the caster to make length adjustments whilst controlling loop shape and speed, the leader, particularly tippet length, is also important in seeing the fly above the target. It can be adjusted to conditions and logged in your memory data bank. Tippet length will smooth out the bounce with your fly, and make it more visible even when you are casting with speed. When those conditions are replicated at your next event, use that tippet length in your pre event casting. When you cast before the event starts, you should not consider your technique, that should be a given by then, but rather check out your vision against light conditions and wind e.g. overcast conditions and no wind is easier to sight than bright sunshine and rippled water. Check it out on the day and check that against your data bank of what you used, how you cast in the off season in the same conditions. Also, check out where you see the fly against the rings and repeat that again and again and again in practice. Look for the same relative relationship between where you see the fly and the hoop in the event.

That is what I do for what that is worth. Other casters will have their own practice and event regimes.

Get into tournament casting it is a lot of fun for all ages.

In Australia we are designing a program - Casting for Kids, hoping we can assist the next generation of casters experience that enjoyment and fraternity. The USA has shown the way with that.

John

Paul Arden
Site Admin

rod accuracy

Post by Paul Arden » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:32 am

Excellent post, John.

My technique is really more about completely focussing in on a minuscule target. When I'm throwing well it just happens. The problem for me is that when I'm not throwing well it's wild. A really good solid hovering technique that the Americans have (and Australians too I believe) would be beneficial in this regards.

Of course I only get to compete in Accuracy once every two years, which doesn't help!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Lasse Karlsson

rod accuracy

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:06 pm

You also used to have the attitude that accuracy wasn't for bearded pirates Dude ;)

Cheers
Lasse

Lasse Karlsson

rod accuracy

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:11 pm

John Waters wrote:Hi Lasse,

It is a bloody disgrace that fly accuracy events the world over require a structure to be enforced upon the caster, like casting to the correct hoop in a sequence, not having the centre hoop under your fly when you deliver etc etc etc. I reckon we should score it as a "that's close enough" based upon the concept that the only reason I did not score a perfect round was the one/s I missed, and that should not be held against me.

Better get my act together for 2018.

John

Fully agree :D :D :D

Looking forward to cast together in '18!!!

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin

rod accuracy

Post by Paul Arden » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:14 pm

Are you kidding? Bearded pirates are going to rule this game.

Flycasting Definitions

Lasse Karlsson

rod accuracy

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:52 pm

Paul Arden wrote:Are you kidding? Bearded pirates are going to rule this game.
Of course they are ;)

Cheers
Gangsta

Return to “Flycasting”