PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

rod accuracy

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Bernd Ziesche
Answers: 0

rod accuracy

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Chris Korich wrote: Apparently successful marketing and fun stuff to banter about none-the-less,
Chris
Hi Chris,
reminds me of this fp I wrote some time ago:
http://www.sexyloops.com/2014.shtml?0305
:p

Clearly accuracy isn't a question of the rod but the caster... Don't think there is a rod available (nor will it ever be) making me beat you in accuracy. :ninja: Only training may move my accuracy closer!?
Cheers
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Neil Owens

rod accuracy

Post by Neil Owens »

Bernd Ziesche wrote:...
reminds me of this fp I wrote some time ago:
http://www.sexyloops.com/2014.shtml?0305
:p
This. Exactly

I was in a large,well known fly shop just outside London a while ago

Sales Guy: This is the best recovery of any rod we've ever seen
Me: I have no idea what that means
Sales Guy: Look how it casts!
Me: But you're double hauling and I can't double haul
Sales Guy:But it's fantastic
Me: It's £700!! I'll think about it....

Me... Wanders off to another fly shop to buy a rod I can afford.

and FWIW, I'm currently practising with a Greys GRXi rod I bought a long time ago. It's way more capable than I am. I'm sure many of those who frequent this board are competent enough to exploit the features of high end rods and I hope to be one of those people someday. But I'm not one of them at present and will be staying nearer the broom handle end of the market for a while yet.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

rod accuracy

Post by Paul Arden »

It's a bit of a thread diversion here, Neil :p But much of the difference is in feel (as far as the blanks go anyway!). Performance aside a well-designed rod gives more pleasure and should enhance everyone's casting. Having said that, there are a hell of a lot of cheap rods out there that feel excellent and unfortunately a lot of expensive rods out there that are crap. So you'd be well advised to stay away from the high cost side of the market until you know what you like/love casting :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

rod accuracy

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote:Performance aside a well-designed rod gives more pleasure and should enhance everyone's casting.

Cheers, Paul

How?

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Bernd Ziesche

rod accuracy

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:
Paul Arden wrote:Performance aside a well-designed rod gives more pleasure and should enhance everyone's casting.

Cheers, Paul
How?
I don't think we ever will have any fly rod which satisfies every fly fisherman.

Neil,
Paul made an excellent point about FEEL. Mainly depending on how stiff the rod is you will feel the resistance (of the rod and line) when starting to accellerate and when decelerating it. Different casters prefer different feels. Some like pretty stiff sticks while other like softer ones. Of course the distance you are fishing at as well as the flies to be thrown are having impact here, too.

Besides that I am pretty sure Lasse will agree that the proper caster can adapt well to all rods. That is unless we talk about crappy rods coming along with too much swing weight in the tip section. These rods get less these days. Some old rods really felt very heavy here!
Cheers
Bernd
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

rod accuracy

Post by Paul Arden »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:

Cheers, Paul

How?

Cheers
Lasse
Tip recovery is an obvious one. Another would be feel (feedback) throughout the casting range/speed variations.

Next week I'm going to buy myself a good quality pool cue. It will still hit the ball, but I'm pretty sure that I'll have amazing control over the white and be able to hide it all around the table. I used to play a lot of table tennis against a very good Australian player. The games very ferocious until one day he brought his professional bat along - I literally could not return a serve. The ball would spin one way or another, clip the side of the table either left or right, and I had no idea which side it was going to go until too late.

Anyway I have lots of stories like that :cool:

Cheers,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

rod accuracy

Post by VGB »

Cheers, Paul
Sounds like the strap line for a ribbed condom advert :ninja:
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Lasse Karlsson

rod accuracy

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote:
Lasse Karlsson wrote:

Cheers, Paul

How?

Cheers
Lasse
Tip recovery is an obvious one. Another would be feel (feedback) throughout the casting range/speed variations.

Next week I'm going to buy myself a good quality pool cue. It will still hit the ball, but I'm pretty sure that I'll have amazing control over the white and be able to hide it all around the table. I used to play a lot of table tennis against a very good Australian player. The games very ferocious until one day he brought his professional bat along - I literally could not return a serve. The ball would spin one way or another, clip the side of the table either left or right, and I had no idea which side it was going to go until too late.

Anyway I have lots of stories like that :cool:

Cheers,
Paul
Piss poor answer :D

So what you're saying is it doesn't make one a better flyfishers or caster, but the placebo effect of spending alot of money will make you think you are....

Remind me to bring my bat next time so we can play table tennis. That analogy doesn't fly with fishing tackle but I love it when the opponent haven't got the skills to get the ball back :yeahhh:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Bernd Ziesche

rod accuracy

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Paul Arden wrote: Tip recovery is an obvious one.
If "tip recovery" is about the tip of the max bended rod moving back into rod straight position, then I think this easy to measure.
A German guy named Ludwig Reim years back made a lot of measurements based on infrared. But he made the mistake not to hang any weight on the tip. He just bended the rod about a certain degree and then let the tip go back. That way his measurements in my point of view did not nearly match casting reality in which we have a line to be pulled behind the tip.
Anyway are you having any datas to prove your point?
Cheers
Bernd

Return to “Flycasting”