PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Tracking ... tracking ... tracking

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Dirk le Roux
Answers: 0

Re: Tracking ... tracking ... tracking

Post by Dirk le Roux »

Oh dear, a typo - it's Alred without an "f".

Dr Dave Alred says in a match situation (and in my view as with fishing) you are often presented with that one crucial chance, and you must train yourself to perform in that moment. That training is best done not by endless repetition.

All the best,
Dirk
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Totally agree Dirk, it can all be summarised by the old adage, train as you play.

John
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Given the discussion here about what, if anything, casting can learn from other sports, there is a great post by Leslie in the Casting Sport Forum.

John
Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar »

Hi John

Can you give a little ore info on where to find Leslie's post. Thanks John

Phil
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Click on the “The Board” at the bottom of this page Phil and it will take you to the Board’s summary page which lists the Forum Group titles. Click on “Castingsport” and then click on the thread “Hand Speed” and you can read Leslie’s response to my question about how fast casters move their rod hand at the fastest stage of the cast.

John
Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar »

Hi Paul-

"My longest distance casts come after about an hour, after ten minutes on the rings I should be hitting them all, but what is the use of that? :D You get 2-4 minutes in distance comp and first ring counts in accuracy.

And I think some people forget that - It’s a great skill to throw 120’ but can you do it in 2 minutes from cold?"

Knowing this, how might you alter your preparation during competition in advance of your turn? Visualization drills maybe? Tiger Woods is a master at this.

How might you alter practice sessions aimed at preparing to compete? Replicate the situations? Some of the things I sent you in the email Timed benchmarks? Etc.

You said somewhere in a post that you throw your farthest during practice when tired. Could this be because then you aren't trying to force it, but rather, FREELY letting it go, with no expectations. Focused yet TOTALLY free. Is that one of the hardest things to do in competition in any endeavor? How might you change practice sessions meant to create freedom in the face of competition?

Of course, all these same things apply to fishing. Making that one tough shot on the first attempt when you know there is a big fish waiting. Making that first shot when sight casting and only getting a few shots a day.

That extra 3-5 feet on the cast might not be technique, it might just be mindset......

Something to think about.

Cheers
Phil
Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar »

Hi John

In my sport, this was the epitome of rotation balance posting and tracking. Mesmerizing to watch. Ben Hogan
Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar »

Sorry John. Forgot the video.
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Hi Phil,

My knowledge of golf is zero and on the few occasions I have participated, my ability to get the ball to lift off the ground using any club, other than the putter, is less than zero. I dare not use the term "play" as that may falsely give the impression that I had achieved some level of success, at least with one shot in the round, but alas, it never happened. However, given that, what a fluid movement Hogan has in his swing. I have heard of Ben Hogan but had not seen any video. Thanks for that, very impressive wind up and unwind of the body.

I presume a golf shot for distance requires a number of correctly applied, sequential movements, culminating in the fastest hand speed and hence, club speed possible. Same in fly distance casting.

John
Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar »

What is the secret to having the fly layout when competition distance casting with a 5 wt MED?? Mine just fizzles and runs out of gas. Thank you.
Phil

Return to “Flycasting”