PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Double Hauling

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Viking Lars

Double Hauling

Post by Viking Lars » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:42 am

Do you remember when you learnt the double haul? From whom? How? Where? When?

Let's hear it - my story's on today's front page :-).

Lars

Michal Duzynski

Double Hauling

Post by Michal Duzynski » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:40 am

I dont remember the exact outcome of it, if I hut my had or how many tailing loops I throw, but the Mel's Krieger DOWNUP videos was the way for me to start,learn, and practice.
Now I can say I know DH.
Mike

Neil Owens

Double Hauling

Post by Neil Owens » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:23 am

It was in Ravensbury Park in south London, next to the now delightfully clean River Wandle. Last month, to be precise, on a warm December morning. The grass was soft, the sun shone and I threw my entire bring into the rhythmic back and forth. The earth moved. A little... Eventually the line collapsed in a heap. I'd done it!

al greig

Double Hauling

Post by al greig » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:05 am

Watching Paul's "down-up" demo here - and then probably meeting you, Paul, and the Pink Micra...! I think that's where it started. A journey begun, but one with no end!

:)

Graeme H

Double Hauling

Post by Graeme H » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:04 pm

I was self taught on actually starting it, but the timing and refinement came from reading this forum. You guys have taught me to do it properly over the last 6 years.

:yeahhh:
FFi CCI

t.z.

Double Hauling

Post by t.z. » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:12 pm

I sort of tried myself and fucked up badly. My backcast loop was the widest loop on the planet ... something like 100years ago Carl (Berlin on the board) took well deserved shitloads of money from me and taught me in two days.

I think it is coming along now ... might be acceptable in another 100 years
“All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.” - Douglas Adams

Jason Borger

Double Hauling

Post by Jason Borger » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:21 pm

Two guys taught me in my way-back youth. One was my father (some of you may know him). The other, that same summer, was a funny guy from California with a goofy method he called "pantomime." :p Some of you may know him, too. Still can't believe he's gone.... :(
I grew up surrounded by Fish, Flies & Water.

Walter

Double Hauling

Post by Walter » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:39 pm

Guy with a funny hat? Actually I think I learned it from him as well. At least he was one of many teachers I was fortunate enough to get lessons from.His classes were awesome. Before the class I was catching trees on my backcast that were 30 feet away. After a weekend with him I was able to catch trees on my backcast that were as far as 80 feet away. :p
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.

Lasse Karlsson

Double Hauling

Post by Lasse Karlsson » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:35 pm

Learned the double haul on a free casting course ages ago with a local shop.

Learned alot from that guy with the funny hat too, didn't have a lesson from him though, but was fortunate enough to get to teach in his class.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

http://www.karlssonflyfishing.com

***Bring Mark back!!!!!! ***

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Double Hauling

Post by Paul Arden » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:04 pm

1996 (rather late actually!). I'd been flyfishing for 15 years by this point, ten years working on a public Stillwater fishery, fished NZ a couple of times and had just finished a 6 months van trip around Australia. I thought that I should become an instructor/guide. Had two two-hour lessons from Henry Lowe, discovered that I couldn't Double Haul or Roll Cast. Spent the next four weeks working on it! I kicked myself for not learning it sooner - although to be honest I did try but the fishery manager who was also the fishery instructor told me I could already cast. The roll cast would have been useful! Wrote the Stillwater book in one month immediately after the exam as a teaching aid. :p

Mind you, I don't think that I really learned to double haul until I got into competition distance and I'm still working on it!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”