PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Double Hauling

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

James9118
Answers: 0

Double Hauling

Post by James9118 »

I was fishing a small still water in North Wales when I decided to put a double haul in. I was routinely single hauling but something prompted me do double haul that day - I don't know what and I don't know how efficient it was. I used to go to the fishery in question with a work colleague of my mum's, so it was before I could drive myself - I'd guess I was 15 or 16. Unfortunately at that time I didn't know there was any such thing as casting instruction.

As with Paul, I've found casting competition has forced me to take a very critical view of my technique. It's been tweaked ever since.

James
crunch

Double Hauling

Post by crunch »

Not double but I did learn single haul in my early teens when fishing using solid fiber class spinning rod the ABU 505 reel attached. Perhaps I had seen fly casting instructions reading ABUs early 70s catalogs but I am not sure did they include hauling back then? Definitely before I first time saw live fly line casting. Hauling lure did incease distance easily 10 meters.

Esa
Geenomad

Double Hauling

Post by Geenomad »

I started fly casting in 1987 and had two lessons from a guy who was a great angler and self taught caster/instructor. The double haul featured in the second lesson. Like most aspects of casting, I'm still learning how to do it better. Learning, mastering and perfecting are all different things. :D

Cheers
Mark
"The line of beauty is the result of perfect economy." R. W. Emerson.
https://thecuriousflycaster.com
Boisker

Double Hauling

Post by Boisker »

I took up fly fishing 7 or 8 years ago... so had the benefit of google... I reckon I learnt to double haul 12 months after starting and then made a serious effort to improve it it 2 years ago... it's solid now for fishing distances but would need loads more work if I ever want to start hitting serious distances.
From memory I watched a number of vids... Mel K, the orvis how to series and prob the most useful at the time the on the fly vid series- 'casts that catch fish' with Carl McNeil.
Bernd Ziesche

Double Hauling

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Lars,
nice read on your fine fp!
I learnt the dh by watching a Krieger video tape in the first place. Then I increased in many lessons with many different teachers.
Cheers
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Jason Borger

Double Hauling

Post by Jason Borger »

As what might be an interesting aside when it comes to double hauling, I was on the teaching end of a pretty fascinating episode one time. It was the summer when I was working on a certain film and one of the visitors to the set was a multi-time gold medalist in track and field. He was tall, lanky, and had crazy good control of his body. We went out to fish, and after a basic casting lesson, it was obvious he had the chops for more. So, we did the double haul thing. He had it in minutes and was banging out big casts right then and there. I have taught a few others over the years who also had the "you mean like this?" type of learning speed, but he really stands out in my memory. He could get over hurdles pretty good, too. :p
I grew up surrounded by fish, flies, and water.
Bianchetti Ivan

Double Hauling

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

Ho imparato la doppia trazione non ricordo nemmeno quando,ma ricordo bene il giorno in cui ho azzeccato il modo giusto per farla,non credo di aver trovato libri dove sia scritto tutto esattamente e non credo nemmeno di sapere tutto esattamente,ma è bello ogni tanto provare a cambiare qualcosa.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Double Hauling

Post by Paul Arden »

Google translated "I learned the double traction I do not even remember when, but I remember the day I got the right way to do it, I do not think I've found books where everything is written exactly and I do not even think I know exactly, but it's nice every now and then Try to change something."

I find it curious that we often teach that the haul should mirror the stroke for beginners and for advanced that it should begin at MCL or later.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bianchetti Ivan

Double Hauling

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

(Google traslate)I am convinced that there are two types of dual traction, one for fishing, less demanding and with the softest line, while for the distance it is more important to return the left at the right time and pull it in the right time, looking at its launch Perhaps, this is why the tendency to teach is for the first case.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Double Hauling

Post by Paul Arden »

That's a great observation, Ivan!! Yes with soft rods we haul earlier. Now (with fast rods) it doesn't apply well, but I now understand that it did. Thank you for my deeper understanding!

Cheers,
Paul

(I hope that translates into Italian good! :pirate: )
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”