PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Adjusting the length of the anchor on Dynamic Roll

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Marc Fauvet
Answers: 0

Post by Marc Fauvet »

more info on waves. trust them, they're not fly casters... :sorcerer:
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/waves/u10l1b.cfm
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I'm not sure what to say to that Walter, there are many examples of the wave travelling out through the line end, including the video I posted. How did you find it when you want out and made the casts?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Walter

Post by Walter »

Paul - there are probably many examples of what you say. The question is whether or not that is truly a wave that you are slooking at. The problem is that there is no formal definition of what a wave is but waves do have certain characterisitics. The loop, for example, looks like a wave but it isn't one for a number of reasons.

There are examples of waves in the fly line in casting but not everything that has the shape of a wave is a wave. For example - a shape that looks like a wave but isn't moving is not a wave - it is an artefact. A wave that does not reflect back from a boundary may not be a wave either. The idea that you can simply "pull a wave out of the end of a line" does not make sense to me. If we can show that the energy in a wave disappates causing the wave to diminish and disappear resulting in no noticeable reflection then that does make sense to me.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Unregistered

Post by Unregistered »

Paul Arden wrote:Sorry for coming into starting this thread with the opinion that this had already been discovered. I often feel that I'm playing catch-up with Spey casting and so always make the assumption that someone knows what I'm talking about even before I do :p I'm sure that some part of the Spey casting community knows this, and it will be interesting to see what Lee says.
Paul,
That a combination of factors such as the angle between line and rod tip, and the direction of the rod tip motion send a wave along the line has been evident for years for those who have spent time playing with slomo. It is its application in setting anchors which is doubtful. What happens when the wave travels parallel to the water like on these snakerolls?:

[vimeo]39091985[/vimeo]
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Ok is a crashed anchor a wave?

Flycasting Definitions
Unregistered

Post by Unregistered »

A crashed anchor is a pile of line that makes the anchor more prone to slide backwards. It is the result of the caster putting a wave in the line:

[vimeo]38657861[/vimeo]
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Aitor,
what makes the movement leading into the crashed anchor being a wave and the loop Paul was referring to being not a wave?
Are we going to cast waves and no longer loops now? :)
Greets
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
VGB

Post by VGB »

Bernd

I think Aitor is referring to a wave pulse. Its a knotty subject and technically Walter and Aitor are right about their wave definitions. Like many scientific definitions it it tends to be absolutely rigid in that it considers ideals which a fly cast does not always meet. For instance, in an ideal string the line must be under tension along its length for a wave to propagate (and to reflect). We know that this is not true for a fly line as tension reduces towards the fly end in a normal cast, this is why Walter was saying you cannot pull a wave through the end of the cast.

From previous discussions digging into this will lead you into dark places because the changing conditions during a fly cast may turn a loop into a wave and back again. From there it is a short step to random sex, drugs, alcohol and sleeping rough :p

regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Well now I'm going to actively disagree with all the engineers posting so far :p Out on a limb... If the crashed anchor is a wave then so too is the controlled kissed anchor length I'm describing. And yes the wave can transfer out through the end of the line, as Aitor has shown with his tailing loop and everyone can go prove to themselves in 5 minutes casting.

So where do we go now? Do you want me to make some videos? I don't know how cold it is where you are, or how far away your rod is, but if you don't have access to a fly rod then I will prove this to you.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

I'm interested but how are you going to define what a wave is? Its no use giving me instructions cos I cannot Spey cast yet. Within my limited capabilities, the only time I see anything that I recognise as a wave hitting the end of the line is in a an overpowered curve cast but I am still a crap caster :upside: .
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching

Return to “Flycasting”