PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Minimum power

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

OLDGOLD
Answers: 0

Minimum power

Post by OLDGOLD »

I have not had a lot of practice time recently but have felt my casting while fishing to be too much effort..

So ...back garden practice time.
Puald......ok...back off the power....and more....and more.....ok that didn't unroll totally...smidge more power and a loop tighter than a gnats chuff.

Ok then try a 50 ft pick up, small haul and lay down....easy 70ft. Better tension around, slower and smoother.Sadly or is that luckily, the garden downstairs allow any more space to cast further except by doing a semi steeple cast pick up and a normal type forward cast....

Less is more .Now why when it goes rat shit do I forget that and try and give it more Welly??
Boisker

Minimum power

Post by Boisker »

Definitely.... and don’t forget to clench and grind your teeth :D
Lasse Karlsson

Minimum power

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Male reptile brain takeover.... If something doesnt work, use a bigger hammer :D no a BIGGER hammer :D NO a HUGE HAMMER :p :yeahhh:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Geenomad

Minimum power

Post by Geenomad »

OLDGOLD wrote:I
Less is more .Now why when it goes rat shit do I forget that and try and give it more Welly??
It's a seriously good question. Gender and neuro physiology aside I think it's because when we throw something (stone, ball, spear, tantrum) we instinctively throw harder to throw longer and for fly casting this is a seriously bad idea.

To throw a fly line doesn't require a lot of force. The Mass to be Accelerated isn't much compared with a cricket ball or a javelin. However, the manner in which it is thrown means the DIRECTION of Force to be applied has to be pure. The SLP and tracking are really about propelling the line in a straight line.

Au contraire when we go for it the typical thing (me included) is to rotate early and too much. Now the Force is being applied in a curved path instead of a straight one and the force that isn't going in the intended direction of the cast is actually opposing our desires instead of fulfilling them. The resulting fat loop isn't so much the cause of our problem as the sure sign or consequence of it. The Force is either with us or against us.

There's more but less will do for now. "Straight lines rule." :D

Cheers
Mark
"The line of beauty is the result of perfect economy." R. W. Emerson.
https://thecuriousflycaster.com
OLDGOLD

Minimum power

Post by OLDGOLD »

As Yoda would say...

When force wrongly applied is, goes to shit the cast does...
OLDGOLD

Minimum power

Post by OLDGOLD »

Boisker wrote:Definitely.... and don’t forget to clench and grind your teeth :D
I work for the NHS, that is my default state!
Geenomad

Minimum power

Post by Geenomad »

OLDGOLD wrote:As Yoda would say...

When force wrongly applied is, goes to shit the cast does...
:D :D

Accelerating the mass the force is.

Cheers
Mark
"The line of beauty is the result of perfect economy." R. W. Emerson.
https://thecuriousflycaster.com

Return to “Flycasting”