PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Is the cast itself a transverse wave?

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

ACW wrote:LorksGuys,
I am so pleased i can cast a fair line and catch the occaisional fish without having the faintest idea wtf you are on about! :666:
:D :D

One of the funniest comments we had was, when 100 pages into a definitions argument, involving just about every casting concept under the sun, Deano wrote out of the blue, "So what you're saying then is that there is more than just one type of cast?" :cool:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H
Answers: 0

Post by Graeme H »

Paul Arden wrote:Hi Graeme,

1 So the overhead cast is a "transverse wave" and the roll cast a "surface wave". Aren't surface waves seismic?
Surface waves occur when the medium "rolls" and returns to its starting point. It can be any medium, but the ones in an earthquake are the deadly ones. The requirement is that the medium starts at one point, pulls backwards, then upwards, then forward and finally down to return to its starting point.

A roll cast starts with the line on the dangle, rod near the water surface and pointing at the fly. The line just outside the tip is pulled back towards the caster with the rod, a D-loop is formed as the medium (fly line) is first lifted and then begins its forward motion and finally the stops back where it started, just above the water pointing at the fly. (The same motion could be described for the fly as the wave reaches the end of the line.)

That's a surface wave.
2) The fact that "ballistic trajectory" travels in the direction of the loop does not necessarily mean that gravity is making it do this - it could be the loop. After all the same phenomena applies when casting a loop in the horizontal plane. There is a cast where we false cast horizontally to the bank and then on the final forward cast change angle to deliver across the stream.
Ballistic motion simply means the object is following the path a ball would take if it was thrown (or a bullet, if you like). It largely follows the path of a parabola minus the effect of air drag.

Any marker placed on the line will follow this same ballistic trajectory. Merlin has a really good graphic example derived from one of Lasse's casts.

If someone says the loop is pulling the fly leg, ask them what is pushing on the loop to make it do that? It's not the rod leg because string doesn't offer compressive strength. Besides, we can demonstrate that the rod leg is under tension and we can demonstrate that the line continues ballistically if the loop is destroyed (by crashing into a wall.)

Even in a side cast, each element in the fly leg is falling as it travels forward. Gravity NEVER stops pulling an object down when there is nothing to hold it up. What force is lifting the line just before it hits a loop? Don't say "the loop", because a sideways loop example kills that argument. And besides, ask yourself what is holding the loop up if the loop is supporting the fly leg? (To paraphrase Newton's 3rd Law: for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.)
3) It's been shown that a loop in horizontal trajectory stays aloft longer than a line in free-fall. I agree that there is some dispute around this.
And I'll bet good beer money that the fly leg was thrown with an ever-so-slight upwards vector. Did the back cast end just a little below the rod tip, or even at the same level? In other words, was the line hanging just a little below the level of the tip before or during the front cast?

The reason we need to increase the tempo on the sideways casting task in the CCI/MCI exam is because we need to give the line less time in free fall between each stroke. We can't aim it obviously upwards or we'll fail the task, but a subtle amount is very hard to see with the naked eye - unless you look for it. So we reduce the time it has available to drop with high velocity and cast with a much flatter trajectory. It looks so close to horizontal that we don't see it real time. Got any slo-mo footage?
However if I was to take your logic then a high backcast should result in turn with a forward cast that doesn't counteract gravity and instead falls faster. This is obviously not the case and you can prove this to yourself by throwing a higher backcast!
Where is the line at the start of the next forward cast? If it's above the SLP, then it definitely will fall faster because we'd be adding downwards component on top of the force of gravity.

If the line has dropped to the level of the SLP and we are adding only horizontal force, it will fall as if it were to continue falling (i.e. no upwards or downwards vector).

If the line has dropped below the SLP, we're going to need to add some height to the cast and it will stay in the air longer after our cast.

I can see this causing apoplexy, but I can't help that. :D

Please don't ask me where the longitudinal waves in the cast are. These are too hard to see in a normal cast, although I did capture one in some footage of a dud cast. It looked very cool travelling from the fly to the tip as the loop went the other way! It did some weird shit to the loop as it passed through it. :D

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

The reason we need to increase the tempo on the sideways casting task in the CCI/MCI exam is because we need to give the line less time in free fall between each stroke. We can't aim it obviously upwards or we'll fail the task, but a subtle amount is very hard to see with the naked eye - unless you look for it. So we reduce the time it has available to drop with high velocity and cast with a much flatter trajectory. It looks so close to horizontal that we don't see it real time. Got any slo-mo footage?

Pressed submit before reviewing properly. :( This can be done without any upward trajectory if the tip height is high enough so the line doesn't fall in the time allowed. Cast fast enough and the line won't drop enough to cause a problem.

(Same with slow casts in an upright casting plane. The tip is high, so there is a lot of time to fall before we're in trouble. A slow stroke with a level SLP will work from this height.)
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Graeme,

1. What if I make the roll cast with a change of direction? Which wave form does it take then?

2. A loop is pulling and pushing - that's why you can speed the line up by increasing tension in the rod leg.

Forces on a loop: http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/loop%20dynamics.pdf

3. Sorry you misunderstand me - I'm not arguing about gravity, I'm discussing the fact that your "ballistics" in this case are in line with the river bank, but the loop direction is cross-stream and that's where the fly ends up.

4? The line is not simply a projectile (apart from which you're calling it a transverse wave); it is a loop. Without the loop the fly would be at the wrong end :laugh: - but it would make an awesome slack line cast!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Paul Arden wrote: 1. What if I make the roll cast with a change of direction? Which wave form does it take then?
As in a Spey cast? A roll cast is not a COD cast, right? ;)

If we modify the directions it's still some sort of surface wave, but we forced the medium into a different plane of rotation. You're essentially implying that a surface wave crossing a stream is not a surface wave because there's a current preventing the water molecule from returning the place it started ...

(There are always going to be quirky casts that upset the pure definitions, but they can still take that form. A snake roll, for instance.)
2. A loop is pulling and pushing - that's why you can speed the line up by increasing tension in the rod leg.

Forces on a loop: http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/loop%20dynamics.pdf
That's a wonderful document on the drag forces on a line at the loop. However, I could never understand why people quoted that document as a reason for the loop to lift the line. Can someone point out how air drag lifts a falling object please?

Drag always opposes the velocity vector direction, slowing the object but not providing lift. Implying that the drag direction being somewhat upwards provides lift would be analogous to saying cricket ball dropping in flight gets lift because the drag vector it experiences is also upwards. The ball does not lift and go further just because it's now coming down from the apex of it's flight. It simply slows a little and travels less distance horizontally.

I haven't thought very deeply on it, but the drag explained in the document is possibly a cause of a dolphin nose. There would be more drag on the nose of a loop than on the line in the fly leg directly behind the nose, so the fly leg can "catch up" to the nose of the loop and make a "compression wave" of sorts. Thoughts?
3. Sorry you misunderstand me - I'm not arguing about gravity, I'm discussing the fact that your "ballistics" in this case are in line with the river bank, but the loop direction is cross-stream and that's where the fly ends up.
An aerial spey cast? The rod tip is propelling the fly leg across the river. The fly leg is the ballistic part of this. What is the objection here?
4? The line is not simply a projectile (apart from which you're calling it a transverse wave); it is a loop. Without the loop the fly would be at the wrong end :laugh: - but it would make an awesome slack line cast!
The fly leg is a projectile until it is stopped by the rod leg. Paraphrasing Newton's 1st Law: An object remains in a steady state of motion until acted upon by a force. The fly leg acts as a series of projectile elements (affected by air drag and gravity) until they hit the tethered rod leg. That's simple Newtonian physics, not some magical process.

Being part of a wave does not nullify Newton's Laws of motion. Every particle constituting a mechanical wave still conforms to Newton's Laws of Motion.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I expect the next logical question will be "Well, what keeps the rod leg up there then?"

Newton's 3rd Law again: For every action, there's an equal and opposite reaction.

The fly leg crashing into the tethered rod leg produces tension in the rod leg. The total tension vector in the rod leg (comprising of a vertical component from gravity, a sideways components from wind or mends and "the force required to stop the fly leg's momentum" component) has a direction pointed between the tip and the loop. That total tension vector keeps the rod leg tight.

No magic up my sleeves. It's just simple Newtonian stuff. :)

Right at the start of this thread, someone said words to the effect of "Why make it harder than it already is?" I asked myself the same question years ago: Why are people offering solutions that are so complex when there is probably a simple answer in Newtonian Physics? So I've been conducting experiments that test various hypotheses since then and have come up with - what to me - are simple answers using conventional physics. I apologise if that upsets the apple carts.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Graeme,

1. well yes a Spey cast is a form of a roll cast - it's a Change of Direction Dynamic Roll Cast. You were saying that the line had to return to its starting point. How about if I shoot the line?

Skin friction reduces the downwards acceleration of the loop.
This reduction grows with the square of the speed of the upper leg. Thus, a loop traveling twice as fast generates four times the “lift” due to skin friction.
It is the contention that with enough speed the loop will actually lift. I actually have a problem with this paper however, but not because of loop lift, but because I don't see how that can lift the trailing line. I have however watched loops (possibly) lift and for the trailing line to collide or come through underneath.

3. Let's go back a step. You have explained in your video that the line has been given its set trajectory at around MCL and it's this upwards angle that allows it to counteract gravity. (You then use the paths to draw transverse waves). You also explain that the loop falls because of gravity and you draw this too. However I don't agree and I would argue that the tip path from MCL to RSP sets up the trajectory of the line and the rest of the line is pulled along this path.

To prove my point I pointed out that it's quite possible to completely change the direction of the line's "ballistic path" and we do this every time we execute a change of angle delivery cast across a river.

So while the angle the line is making with a low backcast/ high backcast/ D-loop is important, it's not the driving force to where ultimately the fly will end up. (The exception to this being when the carry is too long for the direction change).

4. Sorry my knowledge of physics doesn't give me the knowledge of knowing whether or how you can integrate projectiles with wave mechanics. You'll need to ask James or Flavio whether this is practical or even possible.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

1. well yes a Spey cast is a form of a roll cast - it's a Change of Direction Dynamic Roll Cast. You were saying that the line had to return to its starting point. How about if I shoot the line?
No, it doesn't need to return only to it's starting point to be a wave. An ocean swell moving towards shore does carry some of the medium (water) away from its starting point and towards the shore as the wave begins to deform, just before breaking. Eventually, the wave breaks when the top overtakes the base.

If you shoot line, you're just a bloody legend! :D (All you've really done is add excess energy to the wave, but that won't work if the line wasn't lifted effectively.)
It is the contention that with enough speed the loop will actually lift. I actually have a problem with this paper however, but not because of loop lift, but because I don't see how that can lift the trailing line. I have however watched loops (possibly) lift and for the trailing line to collide or come through underneath.
Stating that with enough speed the loop will actually lift is like saying if I throw a ball down really, really fast to increase drag, it'll magically lift upwards. Drag can only ever slow things down, not provide a motivating force. (Before ANY lift can occur the line, by definition, must reverse its downward velocity to start going up. Between down and up, velocity = 0, so drag force = 0, so "lift" simply cannot happen.)

I agree with your objection too. How can a whole rod leg and fly leg be lifted from a single point without us seeing that as a sharp lifting point? Fly line is too limp to lift it all from a bend in the middle of it.

I've also seen loops lift, but I was not able to work out if there was turbulence or some other weird local event. It's so rare that I don't think it explains what we normally see. We can cast upwards though, so that will make the loop climb.
3. Let's go back a step. You have explained in your video that the line has been given its set trajectory at around MCL and it's this upwards angle that allows it to counteract gravity. (You then use the paths to draw transverse waves). You also explain that the loop falls because of gravity and you draw this too. However I don't agree and I would argue that the tip path from MCL to RSP sets up the trajectory of the line and the rest of the line is pulled along this path.

To prove my point I pointed out that it's quite possible to completely change the direction of the line's "ballistic path" and we do this every time we execute a change of angle delivery cast across a river.

So while the angle the line is making with a low backcast/ high backcast/ D-loop is important, it's not the driving force to where ultimately the fly will end up. (The exception to this being when the carry is too long for the direction change).
I'm following, but it's the fly leg that's falling, not necessarily the loop itself.

Just before making that aerial single spey, did you throw the D-Loop about 180 degrees away from your eventual target and try to cast the tip over the path to the target? Did you maximise the amount of line in the D-Loop? That cast is usually most efficient when we "cast along the train tracks" (in the words of Gawesworth) and with a pause to allow the volume of the D-loop to grow (in Borger's words). The aim of both strategies is to accelerate as much of the projectile directly towards the target (in space) as we can.

In any case, the fly should end up where we have aimed the momentum of the fly leg. My tracking errors aside ... ;)

At or around MCL, the line is being accelerated rapidly along a straight line (in that cast sequence). Any deviation from that path becomes the initiation of the loop, and can be the source of an open loop if it's too far down (or a tail if the tension is released early, letting the tip rise.) The line within that really straight bit is sort of analogous with the barrel of a rifle: it's being accelerated as a projectile along a straight path in space, along which path it will continue until acted upon by another force, e.g. gravity, a cross wind or the rod leg. (That force includes being pulled off that path by the tip between MCL and RSP.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I think we are really off on a tangent here Graeme, but this is a surface wave https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_wave

Definition: surface wave
A seismic wave that travels across the surface of the Earth as opposed to through it.

Definition: seismic
relating to earthquakes or other vibrations of the earth and its crust.
"after a few days of seismic activity the volcanic eruption started"
relating to or denoting geological surveying methods involving vibrations produced artificially by explosions.
"seismic data show the deep structure of rift systems"

How exactly are you applying this to a Roll Cast?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Graeme,

It's not an aerielised Spey cast (3) but rather from here: http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/tsidecasting.shtml
A neat trick is the change of direction side cast. The way to achieve this is to perform the side cast as you normally would and then on the last forward cast just as the rod points in the direction you want to cast, rotate the wrist so that the reel points downwards. Many good stream anglers I know use this to good effect: they do a couple of false side casts to judge the right distance, and whack! change of direction, under the tree, dead on target.

Make sure that you point downwards with the rod tip on the final delivery, otherwise the line clashes with the rod...
Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”