PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

casting 7wt. for spey work MCI

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Graeme H
Answers: 0

Post by Graeme H »

Paul Arden wrote: The Hayes Feed haul is awesome and anyone bringing that to a test should be passed.
Alas, anyone bringing it to a test will fail unless they put their hauling hand away before the presentation cast. :(

Smacking the fly down is not a problem in the exam (from memory) but we can't shoot the fly into the target. Pity: that's how I cast for Southern Black Bream amongst the snags ...

What's with the insistence that all casts except distance or spey casts are done without hauling? I don't get it.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

When you throw with speed you have to aim lower otherwise the fly tucks. That borderline control for me is the same as juggling distance with tails. That's top level stuff. I wouldn't expect that from MCI. But I would expect a lot more than currently being asked.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Graeme it's half and half. They don't teach comp techinques but they require single handed hover which is a comp technique.

Flycasting Definitions
easterncaster

Post by easterncaster »

Paul Arden wrote:Graeme it's half and half. They don't teach comp techinques but they require single handed hover which is a comp technique.
... and few, Few, ever Hover. :closedeyes:
easterncaster

Post by easterncaster »

VGB wrote:Smacking the line down was probably misleading, I was referring to the lay down that I think Chris Korich described on here. I’ll use it on a windy day on a noisy section of river if needs be but not as a matter of course. I also usually aim a bit higher than a few inches for a fish as well, I don’t want a projectile arriving fast in his peripheral vision. For accuracy, I don’t go down the tape but angle in and get the range by the fly crossing the tape. Not sure that’s allowed for assessments.

Regards

Vince
The Lay-down in comp. accuracy is not a fishing lay down - at least not for what most see as a Dry Fly "feeding a rise" presentation. It is a purposeful scoring presentation. Years ago in ACA comp. a sunk fly was a demerit, and applying floatant to one's fly was not allowed. Each is allowed now.

Actually, the Lay-down is more like a small streamer presentation. IMO
VGB

Post by VGB »

Thanks Craig

What’s the Hayes feed haul? If I’m trying to be pinpoint on my delivery, I will hold the line instead of shooting, as though I was lining myself up for a back cast haul, but use the hand going forward to fine tune the length of line that will turnover. Is that the feed haul?

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
easterncaster

Post by easterncaster »

Paul Arden wrote:
VGB wrote:
Paul Arden wrote: The CI accuracy portion of the test IMO should be teach competition accuracy skills. It's not a big shift. But a significant one.
Why?
Three targets at fixed distances in a line vs four targets at varied distances at different angles.

Yeah I agree with you Lasse.

Cheers, Paul
Of the improvements to the new exams, the Accuracy task changes are not. Placing all targets in a line, on top of a tape measure is, hmmm... how should I say this... Horrid. My understanding was that it was done for parity. I call BS on that.

I question if the candidate, if casting well - down the tape, will be able to see their hover. The tape will be visual litter. Fishing accuracy as well Competition accuracy is not done down a straight line, One, Two, Three, from one's toes. Actually there is no reason to hover, as the line can be simply measured in hand - practiced to the fixed "Parity" lengths at home. Yawn....

In my time examining, the Accuracy task is one that was always 'iffy' as far as the candidate's performance goes (went). Few had a handle on Hover, Slipping line, Pace/Cadence, Trajectory ... blah blah blah. It was always jittery nervousness, worrying about the fly finding it's way into the target. :whistle:

tag,,
Craig
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes pretty much, Vince, but feeding from thigh to past rod hand to accentuate the hover.

I'm with you Craig but I use the same shot for dry fly, just aimed slightly above. In fact I use even more speed with Torque Twist than I ever throw at rings.

It's funny, instead of leading Stillwater trout by 2-3m, I'm leading by <1/2m and getting the reaction from the fly landing.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I would (and did) argue that a CCI should be able to teach comp accuracy. But ok that's too much for a lot of people. But MCI? How can an MCI *not* be expected to be able to make and teach those adjustments? For me it's a no-brainer: get it into MCI level and filter it into CCI.

DD once explained to me that I had to think of marathons. At first the fit guys set the pace and then later the walkers get involved. I've no time for that outlook. It's obviously better now, but still needs a bloody good kick up the arse.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

However... I don't want to piss too many people off.

It all comes down to where you place the respective standards. I place them thus: CCI is club coach/ professional shop/lodge casting and fishing instructor and MCI is teaching CCI.

Or does it come down to: how much we should charge per hour? Does my 40 quid mean that my casting instructor can teach me to throw at targets in competition? And what do I get for 60 quid?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”