PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

casting 7wt. for spey work MCI

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote:

Personally I think the whole exam should be standardised around a DT6.
And preferably a lumi one, and the test should be done in complete darkness :D :D :D :D

I see a pattern emerging :whistle:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

LauraPalmer wrote: still raises the question - what is a 7 wt rod, as it doesn't say it has to be a commercial production one, like for the lines... I guess a custom built HotTorpedo 10 wt which says 7 on it would work then...
Yep, I suppose we could try to weight the dice a bit if we really wanted to, but I don't see any need to. I've got many hours of casting practice between now and October, plus teaching to do. I'd be happier if I were not doing all of that with a 10wt rod and a 7wt line (that's easy enough to define and measure.)

A 6wt is just fine for every task we've been set, even here in windy Perth.

Standardise to DT6 for all tasks? Fine by me. :yeahhh:

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Graeme H wrote:
Standardise to DT6 for all tasks? Fine by me. :yeahhh:

Cheers,
Graeme
Who makes one with an integrated sinking tip section that complies with the test?

Other than that, I really don't care, Frank Lopresti wanted it to be a DT4 years ago, makes me wonder if Frank has hacked Paul's login :D

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I wouldn't want an overly stiff rod for the other tasks. In fact if a beginner can't handle the rod stiffness then there is another problem there.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

The reason I teach with a 9ft 6WT to beginners is because it's an all-round trout fishing rod. Can be used in lakes as well as chalkstreams. It's a sort of standard UK equipment. In the USA it's a 5WT.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
LauraPalmer

Post by LauraPalmer »

Graeme H wrote: Yep, I suppose we could try to weight the dice a bit if we really wanted to, but I don't see any need to. I've got many hours of casting practice between now and October, plus teaching to do. I'd be happier if I were not doing all of that with a 10wt rod and a 7wt line (that's easy enough to define and measure.)
Luckily you are not obligated to do your teaching etc with the rod you attend the exam :p

I don't really see the need of a heavier rod either, using the 8wt rod wasn`t helpful at all, apart from maybe giving me confidence because of my "superior setup" - at that time I treated it like a casting exam and not like a teaching exam, which I think most do... In fact I think the idea of a standardized DT6 (and maybe getting rid of the sink tip stuff) is great...
Why make a tackle rule at all, if it's not exact and easy to bypass - not just with the rod, but also with the line - there are some 9wt lines around with a "7" on the box - which is the only requirement...

So, I'd either have no tackle restriction at all or the mentioned DT6 (a certain model then of course...).
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

LauraPalmer wrote:
Luckily you are not obligated to do your teaching etc with the rod you attend the exam :p

I don't really see the need of a heavier rod either, using the 8wt rod wasn`t helpful at all, apart from maybe giving me confidence because of my "superior setup" - at that time I treated it like a casting exam and not like a teaching exam, which I think most do... In fact I think the idea of a standardized DT6 (and maybe getting rid of the sink tip stuff) is great...
Why make a tackle rule at all, if it's not exact and easy to bypass - not just with the rod, but also with the line - there are some 9wt lines around with a "7" on the box - which is the only requirement...

So, I'd either have no tackle restriction at all or the mentioned DT6 (a certain model then of course...).
Well both exams have quite a bit of teaching in them, and a examiner might show to have difficulties with a overly stiff rod :whistle:

And since the requirement are for a AFFTA 7 maximum line, any examiner worth their role, will have a scale handy and know how to measure if a line is a 7 or not...

Cheers
Lasse

LauraPalmer

Post by LauraPalmer »

If the candidate would have a custom made rod that says 7 on it, but it is actually an 8wt (as it's hard to define what an 8 wt rod is, let's say a rod the candidate feels comfortable with when combined with an 8wt line) and a line whose box says 7, but is an AFFTA 8wt - would you say that would make a setup that`s too stiff for an examiner?
By the way - I thought the examiner isn't allowed to use the candidates rod during the exam - or was that changed too?

Would you actually fail (or not allow him to use his line...) a candidate that uses a line which says 7 on its box, but when you weigh it it`s more like an AFFTA 8?
Would you take into account that fly lines often have a high variance, which can make it an AFFTA class heavier or would you demand from a candidate that he has to weigh the line which he takes the exam with?

Cheers!
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Gerhard

To quote a long time member of the board:
There isn't and probably never will be, a standard for rods.
Bruce Richards

And I think you missed my point, so allow me to elaborate: If a candidate should choose to show up with an really stiff rod and a light line, the exam calls for the candidate to teach one of the examiners several casts. I have no doubt that the examiners can handle the outfits, but they will have to pose as rank beginners in some tasks, and that would be a tough job for the candidate to teach with said outfit... :whistle:

The difference between a heavy 7 and a light 8 is 0,6 grams, at what point do you see a 7 be more or less a 8?
Quite simple, I'd expect any succesful instructor candidate to have some knowledge about lines, and not knowing if the line one has deliberatly choosen for a test is within regulations or not is showing something is amiss wouldn't you say?
Competition casters weigh their lines before competition as they do not want to be disqualified, why shouldn't instructors do the same?

Cheers
Lasse

LauraPalmer

Post by LauraPalmer »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Competition casters weigh their lines before competition as they do not want to be disqualified, why shouldn't instructors do the same?
I would sooo avoid you as an examiner! :D

Lasse Karlsson wrote: To quote a long time member of the board:
There isn't and probably never will be, a standard for rods.
Bruce Richards
Hence why I'm not a fan of the new rule which says 7 wt rod max. I'd rather let the candidate choose what's his match for his chosen line and not let a printed number on the blank rule certain rods out for him...

And I would also just let those poor souls use a line which is described as AFFTA 7 on the box and let the scales at home - it's not rocket science, it's an exam about throwing a line with a stick... As you say the difference between a heavy 7 and a light 8 AFFTA is so little - I'm just imagining an examiner and an candidate both with their scales arguing before the exam: "See, it's 12.50g" "No, it's 13,10g" "You also weighed the level tip!" "Is your scale even calibrated and certified!?" "You must be fun at parties."

Cheers!

Return to “Flycasting”