PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The reason for wrist use...

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Dag Midtgard
Answers: 0

Post by Dag Midtgard »

Is the reason for wrist use duo to complete/safe/good rotation?

I see many casters using a casting style where they tend to do a horizontal abduction in the arm, that is casting with the overarm out to the side, further overarm movement is blocked by the shoulder joint... forcing the caster to rotate in transversal plane... is that any good for a clean nice loop?

I have watched many videoes of 5-weight competition casters, and when looking at that, and then compare to long javeline casts, I think there must be a lot to gain to go from transversal plane to sagital plane casting??!!

And, can casting in sagital plane, minimize the need of rottion in the wrist to the shoulder?
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Dag,

The arm out to the side always looks strange to me. For accuracy I'm closed stance, vertical stroke with my shoulder blocking my backcast. For distance I'm open stance, moving my body out the way of the rod path to maintain straight tracking while still being able to reach fully rearwards.

I'm a strong advocate of teaching style, grip, stance, body movement and positioning. All the things that make up "good form" in respective fly casting styles. For me accuracy is similar to darts throwing and distance similar to throwing a javelin.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”