PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

7 weight rod recommendations

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

windknotz88
Answers: 0

Post by windknotz88 »

So... went down to Florida to do EDP stuff and test some CIs. My dad stood for his master's patch. Didn't work out but whatever. Anyhow. They hate our rods, to the point where fellow examiners lose confidence in us when they see us pulling out BVKS. BTW, most of them are Sage guys, I mean to the point sage farts and all the MCIs lose their minds. So, need a recommendation for a rod that will go great with the ballistic fly line in 7. Here's our choices: Scott Meridian, Sage X, Method, Helios 3D or F. Go.
MCI Cleveland TN. Lee University Anglers.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

I'd rather have some names on those examiners, that are so stupid!

Cheers
Lasse

Ps. All the rods will go great, take the one that look pretty...
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
James9118

Post by James9118 »

There's a lot of nutty fly fishers in Florida. You should pull a branch off a tree and outcast them with it - that would really piss them off :D
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

:D :D :D :D
James :pirate:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Just paint your BVK white and don’t tell them the brand. :)

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
OLDGOLD

Post by OLDGOLD »

Turn up next time with a 1980's Shakespeare.....
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Windknotz

I took two eventual CIs with me and we observed a MCI test from afar on Thursday. Tough luck for that guy as the conditions were poor and kept switching.

Get a 6 wt HT from Paul! I put it in the hands of some folks and they did not know how to react since they did not recognize the label.

I know one was a MCI evaluator, but his preference has to be Loomis. His concern was how much it cost... probably worried it cost less than an Assquith!
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I don't get involved in this stuff anymore. But if you are going to teach then use something the students can see. You will keep their attention and if it's something you enjoy casting then 100 times better.

Cheers Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Gmstuart1

Post by Gmstuart1 »

To answer the question....I've only cast the Meridian and the X. I'd say the Meridian is my favorite of those 2. I've only cast the 8, but it was more of a true 8 weight than something like the Sage HD. I have an HD and I'll be selling it when I can liquidate and buy another brand. The idea they even give a damn what rod you are using is nuts. They only need to care that it's a 7 WT and it's 9' long. I'm beginning to think I'll have to travel out of the Southeast to take my exam. I know Lasse agrees that these CBOG guys should all be able to cast well with any rod made on Earth. I thought the EDP was supposed to removed this type of thought process from the examination. Maybe they need to examine the rod after parts 1 and 2 of the test are over. FYI - I know windknotz88 here passed his MCI with a BVK!! and that's awesome!
Gmstuart1

Post by Gmstuart1 »

I'll add to this that Mac Brown did cast my BVK at a show in Atlanta and he said it would be a nice rod for the test. Mac casts better than most around, so that says something for the TFO at the least. I think he's a Loomis guy though and not Sage.

Return to “Flycasting”