PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Distance cast with line weight

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

James9118
Answers: 0

Post by James9118 »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:
Ok, I'm game, got something way above that I'll throw then :666: what's the bet :p

Cheers
Lasse
I should have said, out of #5, #7 and #12 with a 30ft head I'd bet on the #12 :p With a full line I'd go #7.

But I'll bet fish and chips and a few pints at Millom - I know I'll lose but you need fattening up a bit :D

Cheers, James
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

I'm game :D

Also with the full line, you get a #7 outbound and I take the #12 :p

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:I'm game :D

Also with the full line, you get a #7 outbound and I take the #12 :p

Cheers
Lasse
Nah - I'll take the #7 MED.

I'll still buy you a few pints though :pirate:

Cheers, James
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

It would be an interesting challenge to have a MED in any line weight.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Well... that confirmed it I ain’t ever going to be casting serious distances...
I have usually fished a 9’4’, probably 80% of my time on SW rivers, but a slightly shorter rod would some times be better.
About 2 months ago I bought a new GS 8’4” 4w and i’ve been practicing loads with that... my usual fishing distances 15-45’....
today after work the sun was out so thought i’d practice with my 6w for a change, not proper ‘sexyloops distance’ but longer than my fishing distance... 70-90’.... or full flyline plus leader... 10 mins in my upper arm and shoulder were aching and my fingers slightly tingly... i guess work related hand arm vibration means I ain’t ever gonna be able to practice enough to hit a ‘proper distance’

On the plus side lovin the 8’4” GS it’s ideal for my local rivers... i’m Tempted to say it’s “ really accurate” :D but know better than that on the SL forum :D :D :D
VGB

Post by VGB »

Matt, with my gammy shoulder and your dodgy hand, we could have a broken down old derelicts shootout. I’m pretty sure Mark S will be up for it, he’s falling apart at the seams as well. It will have to take place close to the pub because after 5 minutes, we’ll have to take some brufen and give up casting for a week.
Casting instruction - making simple things complicated since 1765

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
OLDGOLD

Post by OLDGOLD »

Now that sounds like my sort of event VGB.....
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

It could prove very popular :D
It’s only really with the 6w that it starts to kick in, 4w’s don’t seem to effect it at all.... which luckily is the max I need to use on U.K. rivers :D
VGB

Post by VGB »

Unfortunately, I can’t make Cullompton but it’s close to a quorum. Best book St Johns for the event.
Casting instruction - making simple things complicated since 1765

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Boisker

Re: Distance cast with line weight

Post by Boisker »

It’s fishing season so I only really fish and practice with rods I routinely fish... 4’s or less.... for a change I went out casting with a 6w tonight, made a nice change.
I must have been in a relaxed mood as I generally had a nice easy tempo and was comfortable casting 10’ into the backing.... on a 90’ line I hasten to add... not far I realise, but something I need to get stick in my dopey head :whistle:
Apart from the usual suspect of tracking my usual biggest issue is rushing and over-powering the stroke, however much I realise a smooth steady stroke is the answer I still too often find myself rushing it... perhaps I should go back to my youth and take up the herb again... chilled out casting definitely is a big step forward for me :D

Return to “Flycasting”