PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Moving Targets

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

aldear
Answers: 0

Moving Targets

Post by aldear »

Hey guys,
I was just reading the thread on "moving targets" over in the Casting Sport forum, and thought I would share my "moving target" regimen. My son and I have set up a casting course in our yard with hoops of various sizes 30" dia down to 12" dia)....and it works great, However its not super realistic for the type of saltwater sight fishing we do here on the Texas Coast. Redfish are by no means the schizophrenic feeders that bonefish are, but they are movers much of the time and do require a pretty sharp skill set. So, a few months ago I was out in the yard casting to the hoops, and it dawned on my that the perfect moving target that simulates a feeding fish is....CHICKENS. We have about 25-30 free range chickens that roam the yard in small groups and they feed at about the same speed and and directional intent as a Redfish...IT"S WONDERFUL PRACTICE, because its a living thing that moves unpredictably and erratically just like a fish. And the beauty of it is, they actually think the white yarn fly is a bug and will chase it around the yard pecking at it! Sometimes you even get one to hold on for a second or two...LOL
I know not everyone has this kind of resource, but it has been a tremendous practice resource for my son and I.....and then we go gather free range eggs and have a bacon egg and cheese omlet after practice. WIN WIN.

Andy
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Moving Targets

Post by Paul Arden »

:D :D
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”