PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Loading/unloading rod scam

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

VGB
Answers: 0

Post by VGB »

Geenomad wrote: Vince. I'm not sure we are destined to reach common ground on this - for all sorts of reasons. Partly it depends on whether ones approach to "feeling" and "movement" is defined, fundamentally, by experience or by analysis. I put those in opposing and absolutist terms to make a point in a way that might make sense to you. I also know that the relationship can be framed variously and quite differently. Things is we come from quite different frames of reference and my attempt to bridge that with reference to aircraft controls seems to have been only partially successful. So, ok, for you a cardboard box with a label would do as well. For me it doesn't - neither conceptually nor referentially.

Whatever the complexities of modelling it might be, from my reading about the sensorimotor system it is not a mystery and what I understand of it fits with my own experience as it does with others, my ex ballerina partner included. I hasten to add my reading has not been exhaustive and I intend to do more of it.

Cheers
Mark
Mark

My experience is shaped by analysis and test, it's what I used to do for a living. You tried to frame your concept of feel by using aircraft controls and I showed you a development Gripen in pilot induced oscillation. It's not a one off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoreBssjb6I

The crash report made the following deduction from the telemetry (PIO = Pilot Induced Oscillation):
Analysis of the early part of the accident PIO showed the pilot stick input was lagging pitch rate by 0.15 sec, the stabilator lagging the stick by 0.05 sec., and the pitch rate lagging the stabilator by 0.35 sec., for a total of 0.55 sec. lag in the pilot control loop. The period of oscillation was twice that -- 1.1 sec -- meaning that the lag was 180 deg. out of phase, making the aircraft "extremely susceptible to a PIO,"
I see something very similar when I give some people one of my really bendy rods. Until recently, I was convinced I couldn't watch my back loop because it threw out my tracking. Mark S changed my stance but my casting didn't improve much until he pointed out that I was looking where the loop was going to be next, not where it was. I had been relying entirely on "feel" through my hand for about 25 years, so my timing was off and my back cast was shite. I was trying to chase the feel and hitting too hard to get it.

On the old thread that Bernd linked to earlier in this thread, Alejandro makes a very important point that the system is rod, line and caster. With reference to your analogy about aircraft, feel isn't only about the artificial feel devices attached to the stick, there is a feedback loop through the aircrafts control systems through the air with it's variables and the eyes, ears and body of the pilot. The Gripen and F-22 shows that the system can still be wrong with a development budget of millions. Training increases the bandwidth of pilots and casters capabilities but some of it is hard wired.

Taking it back to the casting, the strength of our grip and the fatness of our hands will mean that you and I feel different things with the same kit in the same atmospheric conditions. We will have differing abilities to accurately control our movement based upon our physiology and reactions, not to mention the grey squidgy stuff between our ears. You may not find the sensrimotor system a mystery but the interactions of the motor system, primary motor cortex, premotor cortex, supplementary motor Area, cingulate motor areas, subcortical motor systems, somatosensory system, spinal cord and the descending motor tracts is way beyond my pay grade but I admire you for trying :p

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Amygdala and Hippocampus for me...every time.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Geenomad

Post by Geenomad »

Stoatstail50 wrote:Amygdala and Hippocampus for me...every time.
Mark. You old fashioned boy you. :D Right hemisphere dominance pour moi. Left for Vince I expect.

Vince. Thanks and believe it or not I do understand the analytical thing - much longer story goes untold - and I made my living with it (primarily) for a long time too.

Cheers
Mark
"The line of beauty is the result of perfect economy." R. W. Emerson.
https://thecuriousflycaster.com
VGB

Post by VGB »

Stoatstail50 wrote:Amygdala and Hippocampus for me...every time.
Not Tigger and Eeyore?
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
OLDGOLD

Post by OLDGOLD »

Paul Arden wrote:Nice FP by the way Bernd. I agree it’s mostly about feel. But it’s also about response too. By that I mean does the feedback from the rod reflect what’s happening to the line. The other main characteristic of a rod is how does it recover, ie does it damp well or do have to do something to make this happen.

I like to compare the feel of hard stop, stopless and pull-back. Interestingly one of the very best rods for pull-back was an el-cheapo Shakespeare rod that Trev brought to the garden one time. It had a really positive pull-back feel.

I’ve cast (many!) rods that have felt rigid in the lower section - of course there is usually always some flex but it’s hard to feel. Many rods appear to be designed or copied this way - “more lifting power” but of course that’s the opposite of what you want for lifting as Sakari likes to point out. These rods really struggle to give feel when you try to be accurate at long range.

And of course you have the opposite when rods are too soft in the butt - often the domain of fibreglass - making them uncontrollable for carrying long lengths of line. It also appears in Graphite too - 6WT X for example I found too soft here and when you hit a long carry I got very unexpected results. I was secretly happy about this to be honest :D

I had an interesting conversation with Magnus about CCS and he could give me examples of similar CCS numbers where the feel felt similar. However I’ve also been told of similar numbers where the rods have felt different. So I haven’t made up my mind about this.

We had an interesting set of HT8 prototypes four years ago or whenever it was. Three rods all with different feels. The only difference between them apparently was different *sanding* options.

Lot so of unknowns really. I do know however that it’s very difficult to describe a rod in terms of feel because I’m often asked to do just this. Best I can do is to compare it to something in the past. A lighter crisper XP, a more modem IMX are two examples I gave tonight. But really you have to give them a go.

That’s why I put that rod testing video together. For years I’ve watched how anglers test new rods and typically they carry around 30-40 ft. Distance casters typically just practise distance. But really the test is all the little drills I talked about - short to long from leader only to max distance. Speed drills slow to fast. Different stops - hard, stopless and pull-back. Watching the bottom of the loop after a hard stopped backcast. And roll casts - short and long. This is the tests I go through every time I trial a rod.

Jesus I’ve just had a frog jump on me. Never had that before while writing a post. :O

Cheers Paul

Yeah...but did you know it was a frog by looking at it, or by feel??;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

:p
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”