PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Bernd's FP 06June/2018

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Michal Duzynski
Answers: 0

Bernd's FP 06June/2018

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Softer rod for a roll cast....
I like what Bernd said about good casters who can generate more speed through a shorter arc in order to perform nice roll cast with stiffer rod, but...
In a fishing situation, on the river, or whatever -you can come across a situation where you have to have a nice sharp overhead loop, and then there is a streach of water where you have to perform a roll cast. I dont know if many flyfisherman would have another rod ( softer)in their back pack just to perform a roll or a spey cast, and then go back to stiffer rod( they like in most situations) to continue fishing.
Paul and his master videos, he is performing fantastic roll casts and spey casts with the same rod- so it can be done - ge is not superhuman of fly casting.
Bottom line, I might agree with Bernd on a techical level, but I would not bother my mind while buying a new rod- is this for overhead or roll casting?
Learn to cast first.....
cheers
mike
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Bernd's FP 06June/2018

Post by Paul Arden »

Personally I actually prefer faster rods for roll casting - to a limit. Something like the old TCR6 is my kind of stiffness. TCR5 is too stiff. Of course what many people do is to use the same rod but a heavier “Spey” line. I don’t like the feel of these lines normally but that’s probably because I “mastered” techniques through fishing with the tackle I was using at the time.

What I also find is that the short pokey little strokes that I often use don’t work well with softer rods. But I know lots of outstanding casters who go soft and throw beautiful loops

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Bernd's FP 06June/2018

Post by Paul Arden »

is not superhuman of fly casting
Of course he is Mike :p :p

Cheers :D
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Michal Duzynski

Bernd's FP 06June/2018

yeah right :D
Bernd Ziesche

Bernd's FP 06June/2018

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Mike, of course you can adapt your casting to every rod stiffness within just one cast. That is if you know how to. So you can use one rod for everything between overhead and roll casts. Most fly fishermen don't really know how to adapt. Instead they cast the typical fav arc 10/2 for short, long lines both overhead and rolling it. I see far better roll casts with softer rods for most fly fishermen. Besides that you are right! ;) Regards Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Michal Duzynski

Bernd's FP 06June/2018

Cheers Bernd
We'll have a chat in the car tomorrow.
cheers
mike

Return to “Flycasting”