PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Create rotation without using wrist

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Lou Bruno
Answers: 0

Post by Lou Bruno »

Casting in a near vertical rod plane is it possible to create rotation without using the wrist?

Lou
Jason Borger

Post by Jason Borger »

Yes.
jborger-mocap-wristcast1.jpg
jborger-mocap-wristcast1.jpg (77.14 KiB) Viewed 4247 times
I grew up surrounded by fish, flies, and water.
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

Jason
Buy bending at the waist (rocking) , locking wrist then lifting (rotating) elbow?
Lou
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I'd also have to say yes. My longer backcast is mostly performed with the rod-butt tucked against my forearm. The wrist really only comes into play after I've made the stop and I let the rod get out of the way of the oncoming line.

Most of the rotation in that back cast comes from rotating the elbow in the axis of the humerus.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

Graeme
I can see what you describe. I do the same...Suttle ways we create rotation besides using our wrist.
Thanks
Lou
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes but it’s difficult to delay rotation without using the wrist and you need to change how you grip the rod (cradle/finger grip).

Cheers Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Jason Borger

Post by Jason Borger »

Lou Bruno wrote:Jason
Buy bending at the waist (rocking) , locking wrist then lifting (rotating) elbow?
Lou
Not really adding more body movement, compensating instead with arm movement (esp. into last half or so of stroke) and to a very limited degree, some finger movement (you can see the grip I was using in that shot). Don't know technically if my finger movement was timed well enough to really matter, but at least I tried. Finger motion-capture next time! :p

Of course, in order to get from A to B with my casting stroke, the rod has to rotate (turn over). It's the degree of rotation normally added via wrist that has to be tweaked with alternate compensation.

I found that shorter range casting actually required more focus to replace the lost wrist movement. Not all that surprising, but it was interesting to feel it in action. By using the fiberglass cast, the distraction of trying to lock my wrist manually was removed, which allowed other sensations to be perhaps more obvious (again, hardly a technical analysis, but seat-of-the-pants feedback is still useful).

And if anyone is wondering, no, I did not break (as in "ouch!") my wrist. Just a cast set up to remove the wrist from the equation. Set up time was long enough that I could mold it a bit with my favored grip and get the rod into a good spot.
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Jason Borger wrote: And if anyone is wondering, no, I did not break (as in "ouch!") my wrist. Just a cast set up to remove the wrist from the equation. Set up time was long enough that I could mold it a bit with my favored grip and get the rod into a good spot.
I'm voting you president of the casting geeks :yeahhh: :pirate:
Jason Borger

Post by Jason Borger »

FWIW, the motion-capture session that photo was from helped to produce this little document:

http://flycastinginstitute.com/researchfiles/okeefe_isb2005.pdf
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Jason Borger wrote:FWIW, the motion-capture session that photo was from helped to produce this little document:

http://flycastinginstitute.com/researchfiles/okeefe_isb2005.pdf
That's interesting Jason. I see one of their findings was:

"Those who fished 10 days/year or less were more likely to have a wrist velocity much higher than shoulder or elbow velocities and those who were more experienced (i.e. fishing guides) had a much higher shoulder velocity."

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI

Return to “Flycasting”