PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Create rotation without using wrist

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Jason Borger
Answers: 0

Post by Jason Borger »

It’s all in the wrist, except when it isn’t. ;)
I grew up surrounded by fish, flies, and water.
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

Hi Jason,

a big (amateur) fan of your book here: using the three-point grip, trying to humbly build upon your FCS.

Incidentally, since in your FCS, shoulder, elbow and wrist are all working in the same direction (automatic tracking?), I have found it most interesting to explore and demonstrate "locking" one or more joint when casting. This is a really productive approach to understanding the role of different muscles and joints, and perhaps also in debunking some myths I myself or some students may have.
Jason Borger

Post by Jason Borger »

jarmo wrote: I have found it most interesting to explore and demonstrate "locking" one or more joint when casting.
Me too. At some point, I'll have to get an elbow cast and see exactly what that does to shoulder and wrist movement and timing. I can already lock it down pretty tightly without a fiberglass cast, but always better to have it done professionally. :D

Pleased to hear that you're a fan of the book. It's admittedly not for everyone (it can be fairly erudite and structured), but I've had some really good feedback from those who relate to its approach.
I grew up surrounded by fish, flies, and water.
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Lou Bruno wrote:Casting in a near vertical rod plane is it possible to create rotation without using the wrist?
Lou
Hello Lou,
of course you may keep your wrist completely inactive (firm) and rotate the rod via your fore arm for example. That is independant of the rod plane. Fair to summarize for most of us: The closer to vertical one keeps rod plane, the more flexibilty one will need in the shoulder joint. That counts significant for the back cast and especially for lower stop positions here.
If you want to get better (training flexibilty mainly for the shoulder joint) I recommend to train the movement "elbow first" both for the bc and the fc. You can train that well without a rod at home.
Here is a short video, which may help to look at the differences:
https://vimeo.com/101840776
Regards,
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

Bernd
Thanks, video shows it all.