PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Why is this happening???

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Bernd Ziesche
Answers: 0

Why is this happening???

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Michal Duzynski wrote: Can somebody explain to me what is happening here.

With a lot of tail wind it will go far( even in my casting), and I dont know what magic the wind does that it will land somehow straight.

cheers mike
Lasse Karlsson wrote:Straight tracking, smooth acceleration, right amount of overhang, early release, and making sure the line velocity is high at release.

Thin runningline accentuates mistakes.
Hi Michal,
what Lasse said and then you may want to make sure to understand this (cause it does explain what happens).

Looking at "5." ... Tail wind offsets the air drag stopping the final top-leg too much.

The biggest key to improve I think is in
a) getting the unrolled bc as straight as possible,
b) get the unrolled bc aligned with the tip path for the next cast as good as possible and
c) matching proper trajectory.

In a windless situation I am pretty sure there comes a certain point where aditional line speed won't help anymore. That is if you are aiming for a (repeatable) clean cast and not a lucky shot that somehow does land straight at the end.

Regards
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
James9118

Why is this happening???

Post by James9118 »

Hi Bernd,

I've always liked this diagram sequence - it nails what actually happens in a distance cast. An additional 'error' or problem area is when, at stage 3, the line ticks the ground or water. On a long carry (80ft plus) this is often evident, and more often than not the actual 'touch down', occurs quite close to the caster. This then puts ripples in the fly leg which propagate throughout the cast resulting in an earlier and more dramatic stall.
Bernd Ziesche

Why is this happening???

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi James,
Thanks. Yes, ticking with these line carries happens so easy. In my experience if my carry has a sack (isn't straight), increasing line speed to it's possible max only pronounces the downward movement supporting to tick or making the final fly leg rising too much. Only wind then can help. Regards Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Lasse Karlsson

Why is this happening???

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Bernd

Get more line velocity, then you get less sag in your line, and can increase line velocity the other way without ticking.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “Flycasting”