PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Essential Level Challenge

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Boisker
Answers: 0

Post by Boisker »

Yeah I had realised that after reading the tasks again
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

It’s easy to forget how ‘essential’ some of these core tasks are, or it certainly has been for me.
I was surprised just how poor the loop was on my puald backcast had become, it was a bit too wide for my liking.

So a few weeks practing the puald at 40’ and I’ve now extended it to initially 50’ and just started on 60’... 70’ next which I reckon will be my maximum.

So this morning went out for 45 mins practicing and went through a range of exercises, but for a change had taken out a 6w rather than my usual 4w. Extended the tape to 100’ and placed markers at 70, 80 & 90’... much to my surprise 80’ was real easy, I can cast this normally but not so easily and never with the line staying v close to the tape or with the leader extending. Pulled off the rest of the line and cast to 93’ with line and leader dead straight and always within 12” of the tape.

I was pretty amazed, i appreciate in the realms of SL that’s barely more than a flick, but although i’ve cast that far before but never with it feeling relatively controlled or smooth and absolutely never with the leader and line straight.

I haven’t practiced at increasing my casting distance at all for ages, so this improvement can only come from puald.... I guess that’s why it’s essential :D

Great set of exercises Paul... I’d forgotten how relaxing the puald can be... almost zen like, time just slips by :D

More practice at 60’ and 70’ puald and I reckon 100’ could be on the horizon... :yeahhh:
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s brilliant. I shall demonstrate the challenge this Friday or Saturday in KL and video it!

Cheers Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Video would be good Paul... I always find watching people’s cast really helpful

Hoho... 2 steps forward and one step back :whistle:
It wasn’t as smooth this morning!

But I know why, yesterday I went out with the mind set of just practicing some of the essentials and at the end of the session suddenly decided to see what difference it had made, if any, to my overall distance control.... nice and relaxed, no internal pressure to reach a certain distance, I just kept the stroke as similar as I could.

Today I went out and practiced pick up and lay down for 10 mins but really with the actual intention of seeing if I could push 93’ to 100’.... sooo impatient :D

It didn’t work.

My stroke changed... more power, more speed... initially less distance. I did sort it out and reigned the power/speed back in... got back to just over 90’ with line leader straight , but it wasn’t as controlled as yesterday, felt as though it was right on the edge of all going to crap :D

So, tomorrow back to doing what I was, practice the essentials for a few weeks with the 4w... get the pick up and lay down really tight, accurate and relaxed at 70’... then at some point see if it’s made any difference to my overall distance control.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Matt,

That 90/100 transition is where you can start to think about opening up. You can keep the compact stroke going for a bit more, but I would start to think about unlearning the hard stop, working on the haul and a longer line carry. Life really start to get interesting from this point! Working on a faster later haul should take you past 100 with your current stroke (don't change anything else, just add more haul speed). Then I'd recommend having a look at the competition distance video in the manual.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Cheers Paul, i’m Back on puald at the moment, when puald at 70’ is really good and pick up into false casting at 70’ is good I’ll go back out with the 6w and see what my distance is looking like.
I can’t cast with the 6w as regularly, if I use it too much my elbow and shoulder play up.... and having had a problem with tennis elbow a few years back I don’t want to revisit it!
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Tennis Elbow is no fun at all. I had it once casting a very stiff 10wt for 6 weeks. I’ve come to the conclusion that it wasn’t the line weight however (afterwards I spent a full year casting one twice now) but rather that the lower section of the rod was so stiff that it was jarring on the elbow trying to stop a longer lever at the initial moment.

However if I ever feel any sort of elbow pain then I immediately stop with that tackle.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Haha.... 100’ measured :yeahhh:
The only one, the others were landing about 95-98’, or less when I completely fluffed either the final back or forward cast.
The 100’ cast would have gone further but the backing caught in the @@@@ing grass :D
I’ll try my barrio 125 next time!
After that cast my distance dropped slightly as I was pushing it trying to cast further... even though I kept saying smooth in my head I just couldn’t stop myself :closedeyes:
Only practiced distance for about 20 casts, after that i start to feel it in my slightly ‘rubbish’ shoulder.

I’d always thought ‘I’ll cast to 100’ and then that will do...’
Turns out it won’t :D
I want to be able to cast 100’ every time with the same ease I can cast to 80’...
which I guess means being able to cast to 110’
so more practice.... again!
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

which I guess means being able to cast to 110’
Yep!! And congratulations :D :D

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Cheers Paul.... I even cleaned my barrio GT125 very early this morning in preparation...there was no wind at 7 am this morning, but obviously still pitch black outside.. alas it’s now blowing a gale and miserable outside... next time

Return to “Flycasting”