PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

MED roll cast

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

bartdezwaan
Answers: 0

MED roll cast

Post by bartdezwaan »

I don’t know where I read it, but Paul mentioned somewhere that he learned to rollcast the MED to 18,5m for his FFFE exam.
I tried this today and there is no way I can do this. Used the HT10 which might not be ideal.
Does anyone know a video or pictures of extreme roll casts?
Michal Duzynski

MED roll cast

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi Bart
  I used to argue with Italians about a jump/long rollcast they call FROLLER. They invented this name and say it is a special technique of casting they using in a lake.
 Preferbly 10foot rod, long belly 8-9wt line and they cast 40m with it( that is what they say).
  For a sake of argument I mafe this video
https://youtu.be/Mj-B19M-dpQ

to shaw them that its nothing else, but big rollcast. In the video Im using HT5COMP and 5wtMED.

Sorry, video in Italian- but I reckon it went around 20m.

Now Italians said that mine was a big rollcast, not a froller because:
- During slide/pickup I did not do kind of PerryPoke, where I ,suppouse to throw some loose line in front of me during the first part in order to be able to easier create the buggier Dloop
- and I did not haul during creatuon of the Dloop
 a part from that it looked like a froller...

Anyway- it is doable mate. While trying on the grass try to do what Bett Johnson with his distance cast. Use stepping.
Start Pick up with your right foot forward, step back in order to create bigger Dloop and deliver your forward stroke by moving your right foot where it started.

Cheers
mike
bartdezwaan

MED roll cast

Post by bartdezwaan »

Dude. How many languages do you speak?
Or should I better ask, how many do you not speak? ;)

Nice video.
Actually I was wondering how to get it to 18+ with a static rollcast. With only line hanging from the rod tip in a very small D it seems very difficult.

Thanks for sharing the video
Michal Duzynski

MED roll cast

Post by Michal Duzynski »

... only 3 fluent ha ha

Lets wait for others, but I think you still need to have a nice Dloop in order to go far.
In casting challeng, the rollcast pick up starts with fly at 30' and that is short rollcast( not much hanging under the tip).
There is no way this rollcast alone can land at 60feet...
cheers
mike
Graeme H

MED roll cast

Post by Graeme H »

G'day Bart,

I can't do it with a MED, but with a DT line I do it by using an exaggerated translation, late rotation and a "twist thrust" at the stop or a pullback at the stop.

The MED's line profile works against it being a good roll cast line. I'm sure great casters can make it work to those distances though. (I'm not one of them.) It's very easy with a line like the SH Spey from Rio or the Snowbee XS Roll Cast line, both of which have long front tapers and enough mass close to the rod tip to get a good energy transfer initiated during the cast.

(Edit: Actually, with the Rio SH Spey line, you'd need to allow the line to shoot to 60'. The head is too short to roll cast 60' without shooting.)

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Thomas_E

MED roll cast

Post by Thomas_E »

bartdezwaan wrote: Actually I was wondering how to get it to 18+ with a static rollcast. With only line hanging from the rod tip in a very small D it seems very difficult.
Hi,

the MED is bad for that.

The right line- taper is important.
The old Hardy Mach Trout works perfectly, with shooting !
https://vimeo.com/110457985

But also with the short head line Opti Stream we came up to 19m.

Less far with the DT. :p
Lasse Karlsson

MED roll cast

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

18 is stretching it for the MED, but it can be done, Viking Lars has done over 19 backhand, and static :oh:
Make sure it's as straight as possible, tracking matters, lots of translation and late rotation helps, and use something else than a broomstick unless you have wrists like Hulk...

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

MED roll cast

Post by Paul Arden »

I think you need a softer rod Bart! Start with the fly out to 18.5m, slide back to form the D-loop and then I trap the line under the rod hand and use lots of pull-back.

Lars uses a haul, but I struggle to shoot line so I don’t.

It was quite peculiar with this exam because you were not allowed to reach back with the hand to set up a bigger D-loop.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

MED roll cast

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote:
It was quite peculiar with this exam because you were not allowed to reach back with the hand to set up a bigger D-loop.

Cheers, Paul
Depending on examiners... I saw it examined in a number of ways....

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

MED roll cast

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes I remember seeing a video on YouTube that would not have been allowed when I did it.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”